Crazy plant...

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Canagardener, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Canagardener

Canagardener Member

2. roshkouva

roshkouva Member

not so crazy !!
    i think it is a species of Dracaena

3. Canagardener

Canagardener Member

Thanks roshkouva! It does look like some sort of Dracaena but every Dracaena I've seen is potted indoor or only outdoor in warmer climates. This acts like an ornamental grass in that it turns yellow in fall and is cut back, only to grow again in the spring.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Maybe Arundo donax 'Variegata' aka striped giant reed? It's hardy in your area and is treated exactly as you've stated for overwintering.

5. Canagardener

Canagardener Member

That's the one. Thank you!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Interesting they can keep it alive there, winter climate should be much too cold. This variegated form isn't even hardy here in western USDA 8.

7. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

I'm not convinced from the photo that it has the structure of Arundo donax. Looks like a variegated form of Phalaris arundinacea.

8. Ron B

Likewise I wondered at first if it might be a Miscanthus. Note it has to be one that is 7' tall by August.

9. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

How about some more photos then? Preferably including flowers if any? The mature structure should be clear by now.

10. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Interesting, could be something wrong with the soil, since http://www.onlineplantguide.com/Plant-Details/194/ cite Arundo donax 'Variegata' as hardy in zone 7 or higher, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1560/ say 6 and higher, as do nurseries like http://www.pendernursery.com/Catalog/Detail/arundodonaxvariegata.html .

It doesn't mean that the plant can't survive even in harsher conditions with proper care, or if the weather is not extreme. My closest neighbour in zone 5a grows successfully Gunnera manicata that is rated as hardy in zone 7 or better. On my property Anemone Coronaria rated as hardy in zone 8 and higher is able to survive the winter under several feet of snow in normal weather conditions. It died though during the snowless winter we had here two years ago.

It would be nothing very unusual for Arundo donax to survive with proper care in St.Catharines' hardiness zone 6b.

11. Ron B

I've seen such zone ratings being claimed for var. versicolor for years. I've also seen it stated to be a full zone less hardy than the typical green plant. That aligns with my own observations.

12. Canagardener

Canagardener Member

I'm actually going there for dinner tomorrow, so I'll grab some snaps. I've driven by and the colour has changed from white and green to a solid, dusty sort of green. Not quite as attractive as it was in June.

13. Ron B

My first thought is that the variegated Arundo would keep the variegation the entire season. Unless the whole clump reverted. Am I wrong about this?