top heavy Jade plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Fossil, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Fossil

Fossil Active Member 10 Years

I have a Jade which has very thick stems but is really top heavy and falling over. I put it in a bigger pot but it just did the same thing after a couple of months. Would it damage the plant if I potted it deeper so some of the stem is under the soil? About 6 or 8 inches of the stem is bare at the moment and most of the leaves are towards the top. Except for the top heavy problem the plant is very healthy.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

A shallower, wider pot may work better for jade plants. Something like this.

3. Fossil

I wondered about a shallow pot - but the plant will still topple now because it is so top heavy - I need to be able to anchor it somehow - any suggestions?

4. Junglekeeper

I'm thinking the root system will eventually spread out in a such a pot and provide the necessary support for the top growth. Artificial support will be needed until such time, perhaps a few strategically placed rocks or a tripod of skewer sticks around the stem.

5. Fossil

thank you - one of the problems is that it is very shallow rooted - I'll try this:)

6. Junglekeeper

You're welcome. Please report back, after a suitable time, on whether this works or not.