Wisteria

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Carolyn Lip, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Carolyn Lip

Carolyn Lip Member

I'm new today! I've seen some of the threads/forums on the subject but do not know how to get into them. My question is how do I get rid of Wisteria? I understand using Round Up but do I just spray it on or cut and spray on the cuts? Thank you
    Carolyn Lip

2. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

Welcome to the forum Carolyn Lip.

This question made me laugh because most people ask how to grow it not how to get rid of it! Some others will give you some advice, but I'd suggest before spraying it with anything to cut it down to the ground wherever it's coming up and dig up as much of the roots as possible. It is known for a very tough and extensive root system, and I think it's unlikely you'll get rid of it overnight.

3. Carolyn Lip

Carolyn Lip Member

Thanks SEa Witch - I know that would be the best way and I think Round Up would kill it but some of it is where my well is and my husband doesn't want me to use it there so I guess I'll have to do my best your way!

4. Carolyn Lip

Carolyn Lip Member

Wisteria Again

What if I cut the stringers and put a little Round Up on the cut part? Do you think that would work??

5. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

There is some controversy about Round-Up. In theory it affects only the plant it's applied to and does not contaminate any soil around it--and also degrades very quickly, so if you apply it just to the wisteria, personally I would not be afraid to use it wherever. Yes it will be absorbed through stems but I would apply it to freshly cut stems.

Other folks may suggest that you shouldn't use it near your well, but if it was me, I'd be more concerned about wisteria damage to the well, than trying to get rid of it with roundup.

Keep in mind, you may see sprouts of wisteria for a while from other places that the roots are growing, so you won't get rid of it overnight. Keep treating it as needed. Also, remember that any growing plant you get it on aside from the wisteria will die.

I hope this helps ;o)

P.S. According to Manitoba Agriculture, it's best to apply it on a sunny day when it won't rain for a couple of days, and it's not too hot or too cold. It loses effectiveness at extremes of temp. Ideal temp for application is 15-20 deg.C.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. Carolyn Lip

Carolyn Lip Member

Thank you Sea Witch! I think that's what I'll do (when my husband's not looking)! LOL

7. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

There is an old gardening tool that I've used for years. I have never seen anyone else with one but they are still available. It's called a brush hook axe. Google that and take a look. It is ment to be used as an axe on roots in dirt. It would certainly make the job of grubbing the wisteria out easier.
    ;)) barb

8. Carolyn Lip

Carolyn Lip Member

Hi Barbara,

Thank you so much for the helpful info. I will DEFINITELY look that up and get one. Seems it will make my job a whole lot easier! Thanks again,

Carolyn

9. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

That's great advice, Barbara. I could use one of those too.

10. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Glad to help. Mine probably dates back to the 30's, but before I loaned it to a kid with a new job of grubbing out blackberries, I checked to see if there were replacement parts. And they and parts are still available. Sure enough, the handle split but he replaced it. He sure impressed his boss with his abliity and his tool for blackberry removal. Oldies but goodies huh? barb

11. Carolyn Lip

Carolyn Lip Member

Yeah there's nothing like the good ole stuff! These days most stuff is made of plastic and break - not made like old stuff.

12. Suanne

Suanne Member

I'm wanting so bad to get rid of this plant! When we moved here 5yrs ago it had taken over. We pulled it out with a van,lol It just won't go away. I wonder if the roundup work for you?

Thanks,
    Suanne