tomatoes

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bumblebee, Jun 10, 2012.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

I have grown many varieties of tomatoes for years and they have always been very fruitful. I start the seeds indoors in March and acclimatize them outdoors gradually before planting them in the garden at the end of May (in Southern Ontario). They are the kind that need staking and I always remove the side shoots. This year, for the first time I am also growing some plum tomatoes )Roma V.F. and Incas FI (San Marzano type) which, apparently do not need staking. They look as though they may be more of a bush type plant. There are lots of side shoots growing and I wonder if I should remove them as usual or, for this type of tomato, I should leave the side shoots. Does any knowledgeable person have an answer?

2. lainyg

lainyg Active Member

I love growing tomatoes (oh the aroma!) but admit that I cheat and buy seedlings. I've always treated the side shoots on all my tomatoes like any other sucker and yanked them so I'd also be curious to know if this is correct.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Re: Tpomatoes

In-determinants are generally dis-budded (suckers), bush types
    are allowed to keep all side shoots.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

A matter of personal preference. I never prune my Tomatoes, regardless of their type.

5. lainyg

lainyg Active Member

I was thinking that if you had more than one plant you could pinch one and leave the other be, then see what kind of difference you think it makes, if any. I've always hated the thought of pinching the healthy growth off any plant but I was taught that doing so will allow the plant to put more energy into growing bigger fruit...so that is what i've always done. It might sound silly but I've always liked spending that time with my tomatoes, pinching suckers, watching for flowers and talking to them (of course!). I just love the smell of the plants. I think I inherited my love for growing tomatoes from my grandfather...they were what we call "one slicers"...all you neeeded to cover a piece of toast! Oh boy, did we ever eat a lot of toast! :)

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Aside from personal preference, pinching suckers should be dependent to a considerable extent on the spacing of the plants. If enough space is allowed around each plant, then there will be room for the suckers to grow and produce plenty of fruit. If space is limited, the suckers will be shaded; and they will produce very little fruit. In that case they may as well be pulled.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

Re: Tpomatoes

Many thanks - very helpful.

8. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting remark. I have my Tomatoes growing in all day full sun. As I already said I never prune them and they produce abundantly. I have seen Tomatoes pruned in one of our Kootenays gardens and now I recall that they were grown in partial shade.

9. SarahBalmer

SarahBalmer Member

~I grow tomatoes in the UK where we don't get so much sun, but they always do very nicely. My Roma tomatoes grew to epic proportions last year and went up to the roof of my greenhouse, and down the other side!!! I didn't snap off any side shoots and consequently had millions of fruits!! It all needed support from strings etc, but it was great fun and rather jungly!
    I'm growing one called 100's and 1000's this year, a cherry tomato which I hope will live up to it's name. Have fun with yours...... as IainYG said, they are so nice on toast that is seems a pity to stop any fruits from forming!!! :-)) Toodles.

10. pgamalo

pgamalo Member

pictures please.it does not happen if there are no pictures,,would be nice to see tomato plants that big.....

Phil in Buckingham,Quebec,Canada