Respacing carrots and beets

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by sleepdeficit2, Jul 14, 2012.

1. sleepdeficit2

sleepdeficit2 Member

Hi,
    I have had spotty germination in my garden this year (distastrous year for beans - how can that happen?) and I have clumps of beets doing quite well, and then spaces where there are none. It is the same for the carrots. They are both about 6 inches high, and I was wondering if anyone had any success with digging the plants out carefully and replanting them. This way I could grow everything instead of just thinning them.

thanks,
    Heidi

ps I am in the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island, and we have really sandy soil.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Can you sow additional plants between the existing?

3. janeslogin

janeslogin Member

Were it me I would replant in the spaces rather than trying transplantation. There was a time when I would have attempted transplantation for my edification and amusement.

4. sleepdeficit2

sleepdeficit2 Member

I'm worried that it is too late to replant, because this garden gets a lot of shade starting in September, so things don't grow after that, and it never really dries out, so things also rot. Maybe I"ll just try it and see what happens! Thanks for the replies!
    Heidi

5. sleepdeficit2

sleepdeficit2 Member

My cabbages are in the same situations, so I think I"ll just give it a go, and hope for the best.
    thanks again
    Heidi

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved out of Pacific Northwest Native Plants into Outdoor Gardening in the PNW)

7. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Carrots and beets do not take kindly to being transplanted, especially at that size. If shade is a problem, why not plant some leafy greens in the empty spaces?

8. sleepdeficit2

sleepdeficit2 Member

Good idea! Kale grows well here, I'll put some in.
    cheers
    Heidi