Araucaria araucana disease

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by naesal, Jul 8, 2012.

1. naesal

naesal Member

What are latest news about Araucaria araucana (Chilean pine) diseases?
    I have a 26 years old Araucaria that is rapidly turning brownish all over,

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Was there any construction or change to the ground water in your area?

3. naesal

naesal Member

Yes there was digging by the Telephone company to set up lines underground our property, located at the corner Thyne St and School avenue.in Vancouver, BC. a couple of years ago. Also there are trees close by ( Red cedar) possible competition, and so on . I am not a Botanist, but biologist. Is there a fungical infection? Would it be recommended to use a copper based fungicide? This beautiful tree is dying very rapidly.

4. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I apologize, I just noticed your reply.

I believe the best thing to do is hire an "experienced" certified arborist to look at your tree. They should be able to assess your property and the tree and the neighboring properties and hopefully conclude what is causing the problem.
    Until all of the facts are collected, it would not be wise to prescribe any-thing.

If the telephone company is allegedly responsible for damage, then you could possibly take legal action.

I recently did an assessment for a client who owns a heritage house (built by a Royal Engineer.) An infrastructure service subcontractor was making room for a new pole in the alley. They came onto the clients property with a chainsaw and destroyed a Laurel hedge and a very old Lilac, cutting every-thing to the ground. They left a gaping twenty foot wide hole in the hedge. The client lost privacy, security and aesthetic value.

Using the Council of Tree and Landscape Appraisers Guide for Plant Appraisal, it was determined that the damage to the hedge and Lilac was worth nearly thirty-thousand dollars. The client has started litigation.

5. naesal

naesal Member

Thank you David for the information regarding the Araucaria. Do you know which is the proper way to assess if the telephone company or the company which was digging around the tree is responsible for this? Do we have to rule out factors? disease, etc..
    The tree is 25 years old, and it was very good shape until a couple years ago when it started to show some signs of driedness in their branches. This coincide with the work done at that time.
    I would appreciate if you have any ideas how to deal with this problem. How much would it cost? and so on.

Nacson Espinoza .
    naesal@gmail.com