Identification: 5 Office Plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by OfficePlant1312, Nov 19, 2011.

1. OfficePlant1312

OfficePlant1312 Member

I'll start off by stating I may be doing things wrong with the plant, but this is the first time I've taken up caring for plants. I work in an office setting where nearly all the staff members (about 20+) have plants and each take of them fairly well. I eventually wanted to get in on the action and asked the office secretary (she has numerous plants) if I could get one and I end up getting 3 from her, 1 from another and 1 from a relative. I got them all fairly small, but none from seed.

Anyway, I planted them all in one single pot. I realize this is a big no-no, even though I was warned it may not succeed. I proceeded anyway. The first 4 attachments are from about 4 months ago. The next 4 attachments are from a couple of weeks ago.

I know one is an aloe vera, another a peace lily and the third a type of plant that supposedly repels mosquitos. I'm not sure of the other two. I thought about repotting after the 3rd month, but they have been growing relatively well, so I'm afraid of repotting at the moment. I do rotate the pot every few weeks, so that each plant gets an equal share of lighting. I have been watering twice a week. I water enough to see the collection plate fill up to the rim. This was bout half a small plastic cup at first. Now I've been using a full cup of water and its usually absorbed by the next morning. I'm not sure if I should continue watering this much during the winter.

Attached Files:

• 644.jpg
      644.jpg
      File size:
      112.9 KB
      Views:
    • 645.jpg
      645.jpg
      File size:
      138 KB
      Views:
    • 649.jpg
      649.jpg
      File size:
      131.6 KB
      Views:
    • 650.jpg
      650.jpg
      File size:
      121.8 KB
      Views:
    • 657.jpg
      657.jpg
      File size:
      212.1 KB
      Views:
    • 659.jpg
      659.jpg
      File size:
      177.1 KB
      Views:
    • 661.jpg
      661.jpg
      File size:
      185.7 KB
      Views:
    • 665.jpg
      665.jpg
      File size:
      143.3 KB
      Views:
  2. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

The other two are Epipremnum aureum (pothos) and Tradescantia spathacea (oyster plant, moses in the cradle).

The mosquito-repellent plant is a hybrid Pelargonium which doesn't actually repel, discourage, or even slightly annoy mosquitoes, though that doesn't seem to stop marketers from making the claim.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Looks like a Sansevieria in purple pot (final photo).

Your plants look healthy---but yes, you will have repot them individually fairly soon. Not only do they have differing growing requirements, they will simply be too big to cohabit. The price of success!

You are fortunate to work with such flora-friendly folk, and in an office where plants are allowed to live. Talk to your coworkers---ask questions whenever you have any. I think that they will be glad to help you.

Looks as if you are doing a good job so far.
    Welcome to the Forum!

4. OfficePlant1312

OfficePlant1312 Member

Re: 5 Office Plants (Updated)

Here is an update on these plants, with an additional 3 pots with 8 plants.

The original five are still in the same pot, with a new location...

Attached Files:

5. OfficePlant1312

OfficePlant1312 Member

Here is another pot with 3 plants, I need identification on these...

Attached Files:

6. OfficePlant1312

OfficePlant1312 Member

Here is another 3, which weren't doing so well in this photo and 2 of these plants seem all but dead now. The one that is still surviving, is the little one in the center...

Attached Files:

7. OfficePlant1312

OfficePlant1312 Member

The last two are an avocado and onion that I planted together. I found the pot holder in the trash as well...

Attached Files:

8. micasa

micasa Member

Of the three additional plants you need identifying in respect to the middle picture : The plant in the back is a Sansevieria and hanging in the front-right is a Shefflera.

9. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The one on the left of that pot with the red stems looks like some type of Impatiens.