Newbie Pollination Help!! (Cherry and Pear)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Estal, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Estal

Estal Member

So my husband and I decided to try planting 2 fruit trees in our backyard. We decided to pick a cherry tree (Lambert) and pear tree (Anjou) from our local Home Depot garden centre. They have yet to be planted (they were bought last night). I decided to do a google search for "lambert cherry tree" to see any tips for caring for it since this is a new venture for us. I then saw an article about pollination: something I hadn't even thought of (and of course the worker at Home Depot didn't mention anything about, though I didn't think to ask). I've been trying to find out information about this now before we plant them so that we can trade them if needed (we might have room for a third tree, but it would be pushing it and definitely no more than that). It looks like the pear tree will be fine, but it would give more fruit if it could cross-pollinate. But I keep reading mixed things about the cherry tree, sometimes that it will be like the pear tree, but then others that say it needs a partner. Help!!

Oh because its the end of the season there isn't as much selection. I remember seeing Vans, and a few others, though I can't remember off the top of my head.

2. dino

dino Active Member

Estal:

"We decided to pick a cherry tree (Lambert) and pear tree (Anjou) "
    Those look like great choices. Smart you, living in such a temperate zone. Mine's zone 3.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert.

Here's what looks like a vg page on fruit pollinizers (for reading in your spare time):
    <http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G6001#Pear>

It looks as though Anjou is naturally smallish. So even not having been grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock, it ought to suit your space limitations.

This page is somewhat discouraging about choosing Anjou: <http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/02-039.htm>
    "When well grown and properly handled, Anjou is a good quality dessert pear of long storage and shipping life. The skin is light green and, unlike Bartlett, does not change from green to yellow upon maturity. The flesh is very mild, aromatic and fine-textured. Lack of fruit-set is a common weakness of this cultivar. The tree is more fire blight resistant than the Bartlett cultivar. Anjou pear plantings in Ontario have decreased considerably since 1990 because the fruit's size and appearance has been only fair and has difficulty competing with other larger, cleaner pears. "

The Lambert Cherry looks super. Without a dwarfing rootstock, though, it may crowd your backyard. So I suggest you verify that it is dwarfed.
    You can maintain size by pruning. But I (at least) seem to be lazy about that.

Regarding pollinizers: I've been looking at grafting these last few days (grafting plums onto this-and-that). Grafting ain't rocket science. It's easily learned. Or you can pay somebody to do it for you. Graft (say) Bartlett onto your Anjou ... and you're good for pollinizers.
    And the page I cited earlier will show you what to graft to Lambert ... and that's fixed.

If I understand correctly, you could T-bud graft both right now.

My vote ( ;-) ) : plant what you have. And follow the planting rules!
    And enjoy them in good health.

dino

3. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

Hi Estal: Welcome to the forum and to the world of fruit trees.

Ok, if I understand correctly, you have 2 trees, 1 Lambert cherry and 1 Anjou pear. The cherry definitely needs another cherry to pollinate it (unless your next door neighbor has a bunch of cherry trees). So you either need another (different) cherry--see the chart at the end of my last link below for appropriate pollinizers (not every cherry will work) *or* take back the cherry tree. You need 2 cherry trees.

The Anjou is "partially" self-fruitful. That means without another (different variety) pear tree you'll probably have a few pears, but not a bushel of them. If you want to start a pear cake business, you need another pear tree.

So 1) add another cherry, and the lone pear will give you a few pears = 3 trees, or 2) add another pear and take back the cherry = 2 trees and have tons of pears and no cherries, or 3) add 1 cherry + add 1 pear = 4 trees, and then have lots of cherries and lots of pears.

Here are some things for you to read: here, here, and here. The last one has a chart at the bottom for pollination partners for cherry trees.

I hope this helps.