What is this? Plant? Weed?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by romasuave, Jun 26, 2012.

1. romasuave

romasuave Member

We planted some plants and veggies about 2 months back and we have this thing growing uncontrollably, we don't remember planting it so we think it's a weed, it's about 5' tall now, what is it?

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the forum.
    Your plant looks like an Amaranthus, some are weeds, others decorative and/or edible.

3. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

Amaranthus, perhaps A.caudatus.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  4. Hideous.

5. saltcedar

6. Is there a great variety of this species? On the websites the plants vary in plant color, leaf proportionate size from top to lower plant, some flower and seed attractively, and you seem to know a lot about this vegetable, so I have some questions.
    Which one is the best flavour of vegetable in that species, in your opinion? (like different types of lettuce)
    Which one have you found to grow the easiest and hardiest for you in that species for better gardener success?
    Is it easy to use the seeds collected from that plant grown at home to replant the following year?
    Where is the best place to find seeds to start some of these plants?
    Thank you.

7. saltcedar

You live in a coolish climate and can grow spinach so I'm not sure this is of value but here goes.
    I only eat leaves of Grain Amaranth, as a spinach substitute so look for those.(they've been bred for early maturity).
    I've heard most varieties can be used that way. Harvest when 15 inches or less to avoid toughness.
    I buy Amaranth flour at the natural grocery store here and use it to make cookies. YMMV
    Since you're in Canada I can't advise sources. Sorry.

8. Thank you. I think it sounds interesting, and I am going to look into it for this area if it an be done.