Propagation: New whips for summer grafting

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SFyffe, Jun 8, 2012.

1. SFyffe

SFyffe Active Member

Hello Everyone,

Just got in 250 whips to start my summer grafting on. One thing I was surprised to see is that they are just really beginning to break dormancy. I guess they were held in cold greenhouses until now.

What problems might this present?

I was not intending on grafting until end of June and into July anyway. Just seems my understock and scion will be too far out from each other. (If that makes sense)

Best Regards,

Stephen

2. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Still getting to grips with the best practices for summer grafting myself so I'm no expert,but I've found you can graft any time as long as the rootstock is pushing growth,right up into fall if necessary so no hurry.Therefore I can't see the late start being a problem.Could be worth letting them get their leaves established just to make sure none have failed.

3. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Dont think it wil be a problem, you really want to make sure the scions you use have hardened off.

4. SFyffe

SFyffe Active Member

Thanks everyone,

I spent this weekend getting the root stock in pots and in the greenhouse. After working with them, I think by the time I get to grafting they will be just fine.

Will update again later on in the month.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attached Files:

5. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Now thats what i call a big time setup!!!
    Nice!

6. SFyffe

SFyffe Active Member

Things are filling out well...This is about 16 days later..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  7. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

That setup is just incredible, i love the way you are using the water system PVC for supports also. Very nice looking setup! Will have to come by and see that sometime!

8. SFyffe

SFyffe Active Member

Thanks, it is nice to have the wind and hard rains off of small plants. My first propagation bed was outside and the hard rains just beat things to death. I intend on doing cuttings in there this summer to avoid weather.

Send me a PM if you are ever coming around the Norcross area.

Regards,
    Stephen

9. Houzi

Soooper set up Stephen....and do I spy sprinklers too? WOW! Good to see the whips are doing well.
    I haven't decided about summer grafting yet this year as the supplier I use has increased the prices of rootstocks significantly.Does £2.30(3.59USD) sound a bit steep or am I just tight? ha....bearing in mind they're just plain seedlings,not trained as whips.
    I wanted to pick you&the guys brains regarding AS Aureum.All my winter grafts are outside doing fine except for the 2 Aureums I grafted.Both of these have stubbornly refused to expand their first leaves fully,still quite small and still curled at the edges.I've tried different temps.more or less water,even put them back in tents to no avail.I guess it's just coincidence unless any of you have experienced this slow maturation of leaves? I've noticed a new bud on one so hope they'll be ok eventually...just wondered cheers :)

10. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Shirasawanum grafts are a little trickier. Shirasawanum stems are more fibrous, and I think that interferes with good 'takes'. I've had several that showed weird leaves that later were fine. Just take care of them and see what happens. I always graft more s. Aureum than other varieties, because it seems to be finicky. But you can have success with it.

11. Houzi

Ah thanks K4,that's put my mind more at ease.These were the first non-palmatum grafts for me so I wasn't sure.The actual grafts look perfect so I'll sit it out as you suggest :)