variegated campestres

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Jun 23, 2012.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A. campestre has many beautiful cultivars that deserve notice in maple collections (and all gardens). Here are a few of the variegated ones, 2 photos each of 'Pulverulentum'. 'Carnival', 'Silver Surprise' and 'Magic Spring'. In particular Pulverulentum doesn't seem to get as much attention as it deserves.

These are tough plants, having come through multiple hail storms, a late (13 May) freeze that badly damaged many plants in the garden, months of heavy rain, and a very difficult winter that killed hundreds of maples in pots. There's something to be said for resilience!

Attached Files:

2. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

emery,
    Thanks so much for the great photographs.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly that these variegated campestres are not as appreciated as they should be.
    I had never seen 'Magic Spring' - very nice!
    Mike

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Me too, fully agree.
    In addition to Emery's comments, these sturdy trees grow in just about any soil, thriving both in acid and alkaline conditions. Very resistant to verticillium.

Gomero

P.S.: did not know 'Magic Spring' either. In the World Checklist of Maple Cultivar Names there is a 'Magic Spring' entry, but it is listed as a palmatum!, where did you get it from?

4. emery

Hi guys,

Magic spring is very hard to capture, because it's spectacular for about 5 minutes! But otherwise, pretty. When it's doing its thing it is a multitude of colors, light green, yellow and pink. That settles very quickly into the leaves shown above, and when the new growth comes, which is very vigorous, it has bright purple leaves much like 'Red Shine'. The plant grows very quickly and mine is getting gangly and should probably be cut back pretty hard. I bought it from Guy Maillot in 2007 as a very young graft, it's now about 4m!

Gomero, I'm going to order some trees (including that big pycnanthum!) from Christian Bessard this fall, he lists 'Magic Spring' in his catalog.

cheers,

-Emery

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Give me a natural green Field Maple any day, these look hideously diseased ;-)

6. emery

Michael, you would have preferred if Pygmalion stayed a lump of mud! ;)

I like the green field maples too, and have a few varieties. One of the worst losses I've had in my garden was one of these: a grafted campestre var acuminatilobum. It did very well for a few years and was about a 2m shrub, then died suddenly. Since the root stock was well established I have let it grow out, but I liked the graft better. I wish I could find another.

7. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Wonderful rejoinder,emery!
    I'll have to remember that one.

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i add one to list (not variegated ,but in summer many leaves are yellow marginate )Postelense!:) Pulverulentum my preferite is glaucos .. my Magic spring is easy revert, Carnival burned the margins with hot wind..

9. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

for Michael ,old campestre near Rome :) and my acer Pulverulentum i grow this maple little tree form, in shade appear the glaucos color...

Attached Files: