Identification: Plant rescued from office - need IDing

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by AngryBabs, Jun 22, 2012.

1. AngryBabs

AngryBabs Member

Hi all, Ive been searching for a few days on google and I cant figure out what this plant is. I stumbled on this forum in that task. Previous owner didnt know what it was (not even a nickname). Its been under office lights and maybe the occasional window for 10 years. Im also assuming they never did anything but give it water.

It will not stand on its own as is - the box was my way to safely transport home. It stands 90cm tall and the leaves are 18-23cm long each. The base is very tree like - almost "bark like".

Im going to transplant as soon as I know its requirements. Any help anyone has in IDing this would greatly help me save this little guy. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like a Codiaeum cultivar, Croton.

3. AngryBabs

AngryBabs Member

Thank you! Seems that little guy needs more sun.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

If you're seeing tippiness, you can cut the plant's stem to a more robust length and replant the crown. It will sulk for a week or so while it's rooting, but you'll end up with a more stable plant overall. The base should branch from the cut.

Then, yes, more sun!

5. It is a Tropical tree for sure. You can buy them at Walmart and some food stores etc.
    If it is very sick, give it care before you add too much stress or shock to the plant. I think your idea to transplant is a great one and I am impressed with how you got it home! Some plant food for tropical trees might be a good choice. Putting it into direct sun at this point could hurt the plant (can't use sunscreen until you build tolerance), but what about introducing the tree to direct sun by giving it only so much of it per day, increasing everyday, or spotted sun? Letting only direct sun to hit some of the leaf, like it is under the tropical umbrella of the jungle with some of the sun breaking through to the leaf? Same goes for lucky bamboo.
    Lastly, while we all have great suggestions, what about going on the net for tropical trees? Even if the tree isn't exactly like another, it is still living in the same environment and living off the same nutrients.

6. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

Rather than stem cuttings you can just simply air layer it to produce new plants.it needs bright light to attain maximum color and it grows quite fast.