When to plant rose seedlings

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by newontariogrower, Jan 3, 2011.

1. newontariogrower

newontariogrower Member

Hi Everyone,

I have propagated about 30 rose bush seedlings, I think of rose hedging, that came from plants that I do not own. My husband clipped a few rosehips off some hedging at a park and ride place. They vary 2-3 inches in height now and I would like to know when would be the best time to plant them outdoors in their permanent location. I am in Ontario and obviously at the very earliest it would not be until after the last frost of this coming spring. But does anyone think I should wait a full year and plant them the following spring? My zone is 4a or 4b, can't remember which. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  2. valleygardener

valleygardener Active Member

Re: Proagating roses from seeds

My personal preference is to grow the seedlings on in a pot at least until the roots fill the pot (one gallon size). It's easy to transplant from the pot into the final situation any time throughout the growing season. When the plant has a good root system, it can usually cope better with a little competition from other plant roots. If you must plant them out into the garden immediately after the last frost, they will probably do just fine with lots of attention to watering, a little fertilizer (1/2 strength) and good preparation of the planting site. Also, ensure the site has good drainage which is very important for roses. Good luck! It's always exciting to watch your own little creations grow...Remember too that your little seedlings (like children) will not all be the same. They can each have a different growth habit and a different colour.

3. newontariogrower

newontariogrower Member

Thank you so much! I'll try then to grow them as long as possible in pots, they are currently all in a flat together so I won't attempt to transplant them to pots until spring or if they outgrow the flat before then. I am very excited to see them grow and flower eventually, I am sure it will be at least 2-3 years before that happens but I eventually will certainly enjoy using them as my privacy screen around our firepit patio! So it is possible that they may all be different colours, or varying colours? Does that mean that these are very likely from a hybrid plant species? The unfortunate part I guess is that I'll never know the exact cultivar of these plants, but they'll be fun just the same! Thank you for your time to post!

4. valleygardener

valleygardener Active Member

Of course, if they are indeed species they will come true. We have roses in car parks here too and they are all either landscape types (Mediland) or Rugosa hybrids. It will be interesting so I hope you'll let us know how they turn out for you. We don't usually plant our seeds until later in January so you are ahead of us.

5. newontariogrower

newontariogrower Member

Yes I am ahead, I planted some directly into the ground to let mother nature take its course and some in a flat which I left in an unheated mudroom for about 2 months, then they began to sprout out in the cold so I brought them inside! I'll be sure to share with everyone what I come up with. Thanks again for the advice!

6. newontariogrower

newontariogrower Member

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to send a quick update! I have rose bushes now that are about 2 feet tall already and the very first flower has just opened this morning! It's a single hot pink flower type the typical ones you see in the commerical landscape. I have yet to see the colours of the blooms on the other bushes! Is this unusual for them to flower so soon? I planted them directly into my deep flower garden bed last spring. They survived winter without any protection and they are huge now!

Would anyone know roughly what height these will reach? I am hoping 5-6 feet. The only thing now is that I will have to transplant them to the location where I want my hedging late this fall or early next spring? Which time frame would be better so they don't stress too much? I am thinking next spring before the buds have broken?

According to some sites I found online they may well be Rugosa Roses? Sorry not a huge rose expert!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012