new acre atropurpureum

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mylesahead, Jun 9, 2012.

1. mylesahead

mylesahead Active Member

hi my wife and i just bought a 2 gal acre atropurpureunm,its a very young tree,we want to keep it several years till it matures a bit in a pot,here is a pic of the tree,first we would like to know, should we re pot it? we live in new england in plymouth mass. should we keep it in full sun all summer or in partial shade? the label says its a slow growing tree. what does slow growing mean? the summers here have been getting very warm july is around 85 -90 average temp. we also have a sango kaku its doing very well,its several years old. here are pics of both thanks

Attached Files:

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Should you pot it?

If you are aware of how various trees are made into bonsai, even Giant Sequoia, it becomes evident that you may need to answer that question.

Do you want a tree in a pot, or in the ground?

Are you are concerned about winter root temperatures and do you have limited options for protection in winter?

What kind of winter lows do you get anyway?

3. mylesahead

mylesahead Active Member

not interested in making a bonsai, like we posted we want to keep it in a container till it gets a little more mature,should we put it in a bigger container,our winter temps bottom out at about 0 in the coldest winter usually about 10-15 at night, we have options were to keep it for the winter,can move it anywhere in the yard,or even put it in the shed

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The roots are only hardy down to about 15F, so if you keep it in a container for a couple of years it will need some winter protection, the shed should be fine for this purpose.

5. SFyffe

SFyffe Active Member

I recommend you get it transplanted into a much larger container. It will be a chore to keep it watered every day in small pot like what it is in. Either full sun or part shade will be fine. I have one part shad and it does well. There are a few down the street from me about 25 feet tall in full sun that are amazing right now.

Not sure what slow growing means my self. Mine have about 16 inches of new growth. If it grows too fast for you just trim it.

Stephen

6. ajaykalra

ajaykalra Member

I would plant this in ground now if that's what you are going to do with it later. Maples do grow faster in ground and are easy to take care of. Pick cool weather to plant it. I typically put protection around the tree, like rebars w/strings or some sturdy/metal net when tree is immature and kids/deer etc are a concern.

Ajay

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  7. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I agree. Plant it now. You'll only be wasting your time trying to let it mature in a pot. It will grow and mature much quicker in the ground.