how much sun for A. Japonicum Aconitifolium?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Spacehog, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Spacehog

Spacehog Member

I'll apologize for my ignorance with regard to gardening terms. I am still brand new to gardening and I have found certain aspects confusing. For example, I have read things about a new tree that I just bought that say it should have "partial shade" to "light shade" I guess I don't really understand what (if any) difference there is between partial shade and light shade.

To be more specific, I have a spot that I'd like to use that gets direct sunlight from about 10:45am till about 1:45pm. Well, that's how much it gets right now at least. I'm not sure if it will receive less light as we get farther away from summer solstice. The rest of the time, this spot gets shade though. I am wondering if direct sun for 3 hours qualifies as either "partial shade" or "light shade". Also, I am curious as to what will happen if I give the tree too much shade. I have been reading that the main risk of too much sun for most JMs is leaf scorch. It seems like the risk of too much shade is that the tree will be less colorful. I would really love to see this tree's fall color, so I'm wondering if I should pick a different spot that has more sun. Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I have two Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'. One that gets morning sun only and it has the best fall color of the two.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/6715121879/in/set-72157628490507707/

The one in the front gets all day sun and it takes on a light orange fall color.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/6531441561/in/set-72157628490507707/

It's a good choice for your new collection. That and Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' get the most comments from the average person who is not a maple or plant fanatic.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/7298607874/in/set-72157629658462575/

Basic info on sun requirements
    http://gardening.about.com/od/gardendesign/qt/SunExposure.htm

3. Spacehog

Spacehog Member

My gosh! That first picture of yours gave me goosebumps as I thought about what my tree might look like some day. Incredible! Thank you so much for the pictures! Oh by the way, did I ask you already if you post your plants on dave's garden? I enter my zipcode for a tree that I have and I sometimes look to see if anyone from Ohio is growing the stuff that I get. I've noticed that someone from Euclid, OH has just about everything that I've looked at. I'm assuming that you are the one from Euclid, OH right?

Well back on topic, that does help so much. I have a spot that gets only morning sun and this tree is DEFINITELY going right there. The other picture of the one that gets full sun is also very nice, but that first one is just in a class of its own. I'm glad you mentioned the Autumn Moon tree as a good one to have also. Your picture of that one is also quite nice. In my still very small collection, I do happen to have an Autumn Moon tree and I'm really hoping for results similar to what you showed me.

Thanks again for the reply, if you live in Ohio and that is what the tree looks like when it gets morning sun, then you have answered my question perfectly.

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Yes, I am the one on Daves Garden too. It's a great tool to research plants as you have already discovered.

If you ever make it to NE OH let me know in advance. You are welcome to come see my collection. Our city garden tour is this weekend, so I will have a couple hundred coming through our yard sat evening and sun afternoon.

5. Spacehog

Spacehog Member

Yeah that's awesome! I will let you know for sure. I usually go up that way with my family once a year in the summer so I'm sure I'll be close by. We usually go to a house close to Madison, OH which appears to be about 30 min. away. I'll try to let you know when I'm coming and maybe I'll stop by on the way in or out. Hopefully I can come and see some of that fall color! WOW! You're going to get me even more addicted than I already am, haha.