Quince or Not

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dustyantlr, Jun 15, 2012.

1. dustyantlr

dustyantlr Member

On a trip to Tilghmans Island/Maryland in the beginning of June, I noticed a brightly orange flowering shrub approximately 8 feet tall. I would like to know the name of the shrub and where to purchase one. The closest I can come to identifying the shrub is maybe an Orange Storm Double Quince. The Quince that I am familiar with usually grows to 4 feet and has thorns, this shrub has none. Will this shrub hold its leaves throughout the year? See attached picture.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you add a close-up showing the details of the leaves and flowers, please?

3. Weedbender

Weedbender Active Member 10 Years

Reminds me of a Flowering Pomegranate, but i think they flower later in the season.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

When you keep clicking to enlarge you can just make out it is in fact a Punica. Leaves and flowers of Chaenomeles are quite different, actually.

5. dustyantlr

dustyantlr Member

I had to take pictures from outside the yard. This is the best I can do. If you look at the shadow cast by the leaves against the house it somewhat defines the outline.

If the plant is a Punica can you tell me what varity. Do you think it is a fruit bearing or a flowering varity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I have the impression many, if not most pomegranates produce both - under suitable conditions. But if by "fruiting" you mean a kind selected specifically to produce fruits of extra large size or otherwise superior for table use I suspect this is probably not one of them - it looks like the flowers may even be doubled. This seems to be the most common version, perhaps a much-propagated single cultivar.