Seeds growing on japaneses green maple!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by BigBudz, Jun 10, 2012.

1. BigBudz

BigBudz Active Member

hello my mom has a green japaneses maple, its Beautiful red colour still! its june 10th and its still Bright Red, you can see the change to green though. but im outside looking at it and i notice it has seedlings growing semi ripe it looks i cut one open with my finger looks to fresh. but i was wondering when do you think they will be ripe to pick?

anyone with info please leave a message feel free. cause i wanna know when to properly pick them so i can grow few more the following season.

Thanks Travis!

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Red maples frequently turn more green as the year progresses.

Japanese maple seed should be harvested in the fall. You can tell when they are ready because the 'wing' - the papery part of the seed - will turn brown, and the fat, fleshy part of the seed will have a little green left. The seeds must be stratified in order to sprout. This means they must be exposed to prolonged cold temperatures. You can do this easily by sowing them in shallow pots in the fall, and letting them over-winter outside. Or you can put the seeds in some moist peat moss in zip-lock baggies and store them in the fridge for 4 months. They should start sprouting after that amount of time.

3. SFyffe

SFyffe Active Member

Growing from seed is fun. Here are a few I did this past fall. They began to germinate in the fridge about February.

They really look cool close up.

Stephen

Attached Files:

4. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Hello, Travis!
    I agree with Stephen and Doug (who is Kaitain4) above who have given you great advice.
    Germinating maple seeds is FUN and easy. Follow the great instructions above.
    I live near San Francisco where the winters are not cold enough to develop maple seeds.
    Whitby, Canada may well be cold enough outside. I pick my seeds AFTER October 1st and
    put them right away in moist peat moss in plastic bags and leave them in the refridgerator
    for 90-120 days at 39-40 degrees Fahrenheit. Like Stephen said many of the seeds will start
    sprouting roots in February or so in the bags. Check the bags once in a while to make sure the
    peat moss has not dried out. I use a good seed starter/peat mix in the trays when I put the seeds
    from the bags into trays. Do not plant the seeds too deep in the trays, just deep enough to cover
    them and when its warms up, POP go the seeds. Have fun like Stephen, Doug and me - we all
    germinate tons of seeds.

5. BigBudz

BigBudz Active Member

nice picture stephen they look so nice! wish mine were like that this year they probly start next year but im going to collect seeds this year so i can make sure 100% i have bunch in the following summer..thanks for all the advice it has been very useful

6. Bodger2

Bodger2 Member

Are they true to seed? Will you get a laceleaf weeping maple the same as the mother plant for example.

7. SFyffe

SFyffe Active Member

Hello Everyone,

BigBudz, one other thing you would like to do after harvesting the seed is to soak them in tap water for about a day. I soaked half of mine and the other half I did not. I had a higher success of germination with the ones soaked. Most of the unsoaked did germinate but were about 3 weeks slower in standing up.

Bodger2, No. If you are collecting from a green lace leaf cultivar then the probability of you getting a lace leaf true to the parent is near 0. I think the reason being is actually stated here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2648069/

Good luck with that.....

Stephen