Acer palmatum 'Otome Zakura'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by krautz33, May 1, 2005.

1. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

My favorite Maple:

I bought this maple last year because it had beautiful fall color. I am even happier with the spring color.

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I can second the fall color and just happen to have a photo of a tree I got this summer. I think the fall color in this photo is good, but I bet it can be awesome in a good year.
    If the spring color is anything like what you have shown, It iwll be a winner. I don't expect the plant I have to be nearly as upright as yours, and i dont' think it usually is--have you had to contiune to shape the tree to keep is in its upright form? What about the leaf form--have you observed the two leaf forms as described by Vertrees?

MJH

Attached Files:

3. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

I bought the tree that size. It was in a 25 gallon the spring and fall color are both awsome. This tree looks better when the behind the sun. I will try to post a spring pic, When the color changes this fall (05).

Mike

4. arnaut

arnaut Active Member

Acer palmatum 'Otome zakura' (22-05-2007)

Attached Files:

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Otome Zakura leafing out in a pretty shady spot.

Attached Files:

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I planted my Otome Zakura in the most impossible of settings: an extremely hot, exposed orchard area with intense sun from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. each day. 95% of my JMs cannot handle the heat and intensity of the sun in that location. And you know what? Otome Zakura thrived in this setting. The spring color was sensational. This photo was taken April 18, 2005. This particular plant is no longer living because my gardener found a way to kill it, but I'm searching for a replacement at this time.

Attached Files:

7. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

Otome zakura

What tree do you think this is, I tagged it as Otome zakura, but I think someone may have moved my tags around last year. Any how, I think this may be a good tree for warmer climates because there is enough pigment in the new leaves which is better if the sun get hot real quick. If the tree is variegated and or a late bloomer arriving with very little pigment in the leaf make it susceptible for a good sun scorching. The second is just a two year seedling.

You know UBC is hosting all of our photos & our BBS. so don't ya think we should thought them a dime every now and then.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  8. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Otome zakura

Hi Richard,

As I've mentioned before, I'm a novice. But I'll put my two cents out there for what it's worth.

I'm looking at the leaf shape in the pictures and comparing to what I see in Vertrees and online (http://www.bloomriver.com/home/br2/page_1296 and at http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/acpoza.htm). And they look different to me from your tree. I'm specifically looking at the direction of the bottom two lobes. They look perpendicular to the stem in your photos but not in the other photos.

Also VIII mentions "leaves which are two kinds, large and small, on the same tree." I'm not really seeing that either.

Last VIII mentions "the lobes radiate strongly outward and are separated two-thirds of the way to the leaf base. It looks like your tree's leaves are more deeply divided.

Your tree, especially in the dark photo, looks so familiar to me. I feel like I've seen something very like it, but I can't place it. I'm sorry I can't be more help.

Good luck

9. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

Re: Otome zakura

It is a cloudy day here in the Old Dominion, Sunday May 17,2009. I will take another picture, I will set the camera to take a spot shot of one leaf and then the shape of the tree next. Thanks for helping,
    Rich

I have one other that I need to id too.

10. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here is a fun look at the same Otome Zakura. This will show the imprefection photograph. The two photos are take seconds apart with different settings on the camera.

Attached Files:

11. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

The spring color of Otome Zakura is pretty stunning and intense. People always ask me the name of this tree because it stands out so. I also like that it's so hardy. My garden gets intensely hot in the summer and the full sunshine normally makes certain areas off-limits for my other JMs, but Otome Zakura tolerates full sun beautifully with no singed leaves. Pretty amazing and beautiful besides.

12. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is a nice tree but the name is bit hard for people to get. There is another tree similar with the intitals of HC.

13. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Yes, I've had trouble finding it as well, but have located it in the Portland area. I don't know about "HC" but there is a plant named "NC Red" where the NC stands for North Carolina which is quite good as well.

14. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

My new Otome zakura courtesy of Diana at Topiary Gardens. I hadn't planned to use this tree for a bonsai project, but the shape is gorgeous and definitely well on the way to potential bonsai material...

Any recommendations as far as water and light requirements? I know it's heat tolerant - should love Kansas - but I'd like to know what it's preferences are.

Attached Files:

15. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is a favorite of mine. The spring color is a bright intense lipstick red which holds color a long while. I've had mine in direct sunlight all day long with zero protection and my OZs have never shown leaf burn, wilting, etc. All they need is adequate water (not much more than any others) even while existing in hot-hot-hot locations. You will like this cultivar.

16. maplesandpaws

To quote OPI, "I'm Not Really A Waitress"... (the ladies will get this one, lol)

Attached Files:

17. maplesandpaws

For those that have this cultivar, especially from smaller (say, 2g/3yr or so), how fast does yours grow. Mine did ok last year, it's first full year with me, but this year, it is growing like a weed. Several main branches have put on at least 4-5" each this spring already. Haven't uploaded my most recent pics yet, but will post when I do for comparison.

18. maplesandpaws

Pictures of my Otome, showing the excessive growth thus far this year. First picture is from spring last year; second is from early May this year; third is from June 2 this year, and final pic is from today. The growth doesn't appear to be overly leggy, and we're early enough in the season that I don't think I'll have to worry about it hardening off before winter - unless it keeps growing like this. I gave it a small dose of granular fertilizer (4-8-5) about a month ago, I did this with all my potted maples, and none of the others are displaying growth like this...

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I love this one in the Summer when the greens change to bronze yellows and reds, the sun makes it glow.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

24th July 2020, overnight rain on the ever bronzing of my Otome Zakura.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

Lots of rain, wind and now extreme heat, well it is here in England.
    31st July 2020 photo.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

7th August 2020, rain through the night thankfully, as it's going to be the hottest day this year in the UK. I will post my maples during and after this heatwave.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    This one has greened up over night, several days ago it was bronzing up. Oh what a little rain will do !!!

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

22nd August 2020, very strong drying winds, followed by torrential rain this morning and my little Otome Zakura still looks pretty.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others.
    An update on the new growth, I am totally astonished this year. Spring, Sumner and Autumn colours all at once in my garden

Attached Files: