Beni otake too big?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Jun 5, 2012.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I purchased a nice - for a tree from Lowe's, anyway - Beni otake and am considering planting it where I currently have the pot situated. While it's only been a month, it seems to be doing well in this location, but I have read differing opinions on how big this tree can get. (First pic shows how close it is to the house/courtyard brick wall; second pic shows the tree/location in perspective on the very right side of the image.)

I know individual environments have a lot to do with ultimate growth, but is this location to 'small' for this cultivar? The tree is currently about 5' in the pot, and 2-3' wide. If I wanted a 'red' tree, would Beni yubi gohon be a better choice for this location?

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. paxi

paxi Active Member

I don't know the mature height of the tree. I can only tell you from my experience (of one!) that beni otake has been a fairly vigorous grower (at least a foot a year, and likely more). I remember remarking that not only does it look like bamboo it seems to grow like bamboo. Depending on the size of that overhang that may in fact be too tight a spot. Though not a linearilobum, pixie has been a good smallish tree for me with prominent red for much of the year.

3. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Thanks paxi! While we are further south, and therefore significantly warmer, than you in the summer (and not quite so cold in winter), our climates are somewhat similar. It's good to know what sort of growth rate I can potentially expect from this cultivar. I had a sneaking suspicion the spot I have it in currently ultimately would not work out... Oh well, I think I have another spot for it, where the sun will hit it just so in the evening - I'm sure it will glow in spring and fall (it's quite green now - though, that could be from all the excess fertilizer still in its system).

I think I have another tree that will work well in the spot; I had been contemplating planting my silver weeping pear there (only gets about 12', though I need to confirm how wide). That would be pretty with a nice red dissectum in front of it, I think. :)