British Columbia: White Wisteria; what to do?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vlastovka, May 30, 2012.

1. vlastovka

vlastovka Member

Our white wisteria is about ten years old and it thrived in the past. This and the last spring, just before the flowers developed, the central stems of some of the pendulum clusters looked as if something took a bite of it. The cluster wilted, the bite turned brown and the effected clusters died. Also one of the twining trunks is now completely dead.
    About 4 years ago I had an impulse to transfer the whole plant from a wooden to a plastic barrel. Could there be a connection perhaps? And at the same time there appear to be a couple of new shoots growing up from the soil next to the main trunks. Can someone, please, identify the problem; I hate to lose the plant.

Attached Files:

2. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

I can't speak to the first questions, but as to the last, those new shoots coming up are normal "suckers". You can A) leave them alone or B) cut them back (frequently) or C) dig some up with some root attached and give them away as "cuttings" to make new plants.

I hope this helps

3. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Are you able to post pictures of the bite type thing you speak of and any dieback or other problems?

4. vlastovka

vlastovka Member

Please click on the 3 pix above to enlarge. Hope it will do.

5. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

#2 is the money shot. I've seen that before on wysteria's I've maintained. Never had a problem with the plants though. Cut off the effected branches at a lower node and disinfect your sequeters. Throw the pieces in the garbage. You should be fine.

I haven't determined exactly what your vines problem is yet. Any-one else?
    (off subject: I love it in Sechelt, but the soils so rocky)

6. vlastovka

vlastovka Member

Thank you for your advise. Will let you know if I hear.

PS. Yes, you have to be prepared to roll your sleeves up to start out; otherwise you can't beat it.