top broke off my dracaena marginata

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jennifer97214, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Jennifer97214

Jennifer97214 Member

Hi. I have had a dracaena for over 5 years. I never knew name until the top broke off when I was carrying it into kitchen to water it. It was almost 5 feet tall and the top foot broke off on doorway. It has only one long single stalk and was healthy. I asked a local nursery what to do. They said to make very clean cut at top and it would continue to grow out of the top. However, there is no new growth and the other leaves are getting very droopy. This happened over 5 weeks ago and I am getting nervous because I love this plant;when I first got it it was only 6 inches or so. Any ideas? I appreciate it. Thank you.

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

sometimes things just take a lil time to adjust ... just put it back in it's usual spot and do what you have been doing all along .. it is probably just going through a lil shock right now ..

good luck

Marn

3. lilypad

lilypad Member

Don't worry, it does take ages for the new growth to appear. I actually deliberately cut of tops of my dracaenas to branch them out more. It usually takes about two months for two little nodules to show on the sides of the cut-off point. I did this in the summer to one of my old dracaenas. It tooks ages for the new shoots to appear but one of the is now about 4inches long with several new leaves coming up. The second nodule is quite small but will probably start growing next summer. Don't worry too much about the droopy leaves either. The leaves below the cut-off point will naturally die and fall off as Dracaenas only have a crown of leaves at the top of each stalk.

I hope this helps.