What's wrong with my Autumn Moon?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lythande, May 22, 2012.

1. Lythande

Lythande Member

Hello board,

I bought an Autumn Moon last year and this spring it bloomed beautifully. However, two weeks ago the leaves started looking like wilted lettuce and the stems drooped. It looks flat and is dying.

It gets morning sun, afternoon shade, and water when it needs it. My other potted and planted maples are doing just fine. The only difference is that my A.M. has a damn swarm of ants all over it in the morning. Could those buggers be the cause?

https://picasaweb.google.com/108233521347842149552/MyPoorAutumnMoon?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

There's a few reasons for drooping leaves this time of year,over watering being one,however firstly check for pests sucking on your plant,aphids,scale(look like bumps on bark) etc.Ants 'farm' the secretions of these sap suckers and are not there to harm your plant.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I would not be encouraged by what I see in the pictures... when stems lose turgidity like that it might be the wilt. There is no cure.

Cut back the clearly dead parts e.g. pic 3, do not over water, do not feed. Sometimes they respond to cutting back.

Sorry, the ants (or aphids they're farming) are not the cause.

4. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Any chance it got too wet? It kind of looks to me like it has sat wet, especially since the entire tree seems wilted. It is kind of a tough one for me. I had it in a too dry and sunny spot and dug it out to grow in a pot for awhile in moist soil, but lots of bark for drainage and it looks a lot better this year. Anyway, it looks more like some physical factor rather than disease.
    Kay

5. Lythande

Lythande Member

Thanks for the replies fellas. I took a close look at my tree and indeed found some sort of pest on the bark. They were all clustered along most branches on the underside, the little buggers. They literally looked like bark bumps. I pried them off and smooshed a few and they were wet with sap. There's no sign of them on my other potted and planted maples.

It's possible that it got too wet, although the other maples are fine and have been getting the same amount. My AM did well last year.

I'll try the advice of cutting the dead parts, etc, and will report back if it makes a comeback. Fingers crossed!

6. SFyffe

SFyffe Active Member

Hi,

With the comment about then ants it sounds a bit like aphids.

You should also consider getting the tree in the ground. With a pot that small it is easy for the roots to cook in the sun in the black liner it is in.

Stephen

7. pat bateman

pat bateman Member

I think your pot is problem. I'd get in a bigger pot and make sure that the potting medium is free draining.