Japanese Maple Partial Leafout

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jackie10512, May 20, 2012.

1. jackie10512

jackie10512 Member

I hope my pictures came through - my japanese maple did not leaf out on one side last year, but it was just one branch. This year the other side has a few branches that did not leaf out. I can cut them all off - and reshape the tree, but because it spread this year, I am afraid there is something wrong with it.

Attached Files:

2. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

In the thrid pic I see a splitting of the bark, is this the same branch that is failing to leaf out?

When was it planted? You may want to gently scrap back the soil from around the base and see if perhalps it is girdling itself.

Is it still in burlap or the cage?

3. jackie10512

jackie10512 Member

Hi , thanks for replying! - no the peeling bark is really sturdy so I didn't know if it had anything to do with it. When I touch it, it is not really pealing, just cracked. One the side of the peeling bark was where it started - then it spread to the other side of the tree. It was planted about 5 years ago and has done great! It came in a container, not burlap.

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Could just be winter die-back, which happens occasionally. Or, it could be verticillium wilt. When you cut the dead wood it will have dark rings and streaks in it. No way to treat it, however.

5. jackie10512

jackie10512 Member

When I cut off the dead wood I will look for that. Thank so much! Although I hope I don't see it, if there is no way to treat it :(

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably bacterial blight.

7. jackie10512

jackie10512 Member

So what do you do about that??