want six foot tall 'open' shrub

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Peg James, May 19, 2012.

1. Peg James

Peg James Member

Any suggestions for an evergreen shrub that will grow at least six feet tall and not totally screen out the view behind it? Is there a Nandina that gets that tall?

Thanks.

2. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

'Chamaecyparis obtusa' , a dwarf of course.

Tree not a shrub.

3. Peg James

Peg James Member

Thanks. We have a beautiful big chamaecyparis obtusa in our front yard, but it's denser than Im hoping for this time. I'd like to be able to glimpse the view through this one. Maybe I'm looking for something other than a conifer.

4. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

Eleagnus?

Highley Aromatic flowers, edible fruit, black bark, bird forage and non- leguminous Nitrogen fixer.

If your old and beat up you can also use the dried fruit powdered up as a relief for joint pain.

Hippophae rhamnoides ! yeah
    Sea Buckthorn

you would have to prune to keep from getting to dence but....

silver foliage, medicinal, edible, bird forage, ornamental, drought tolerant, salt tolerant, low temp tolerant to -45, windbreak, security, non-leguminous Nitrogen fixer.

it is dioceous though so you would need a mate.

you can make juice,jam,jelly,marmalades and liquers, the leaves contain (15%) protein and can be used for pet and livestock forage, it is the most nutritous of all berries and contains Vitamin C and E: several carotenoids, flavinoids and certain enzymes.
    There is enough Vitamin C in the exsisting population of Sea Buckthorn to supply the entire worlds needs daily, it was the first juice in space and...... wait for it.........

It is the prefered drink of Pegasus.

5. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

Berberis linearifolia ' Orange king '

it can make your eyes burn when in bloom its so bright on the landscape. It is out of fashion a bit but I beleive there is one in your area on the North East Corner of Grand View Highway and Boundary Rd. There is that weird pull over spot off the main road that leads to the big fenced lot. You may have seen it in bloom while sitting at the stop light, it really grabs attention.

6. middendigger

middendigger Member

What about Viburnum rhytidophyllum. It is evergreen, gets quite tall but has an open habit and white flowers.

7. Peg James

Peg James Member

Thanks for that suggestion. From its pictures on google this viburnum looks like a likely bet, and I'll look into it further. Sorry to be so long replying.

8. The Domestica Nadina can grow 8' tall and 3 -4 ' wide, with brilliant red berries appearing after the white blooms fade away.
    The Japanese Yew isn't as elegant, but grows very very tall, very bushy, nice tone of green, which is great to block anything you want concealed behind it.

9. Peg James

Peg James Member

more good ideas - my space is in part-shade, so that might decide which plant I use - thanks!

10. Sorry, I forgot to mention PegJames...both the Nadina and the Yew do very well in either sun or shade and good info on the Yew is at homeandgardenideas.com. I bet your garden will look beautiful with whatever you come up with and decide to plant. Happy gardening!

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Taller forms of Nandina may be prone to flopping. Leatherleaf viburnum is covered in irritating hairs, I would locate this only where it is not going to be pruned or walked near much. The barberry is typically only present on the market to a quite limited extent - but maybe there is some stock in Vancouver area at the moment. It does, of course like most barberries have spines. If a little pointiness is not a problem perhaps a Mahonia would be acceptable, this combines features of Nandina and Berberis (these three are all related to one another).