British Columbia: How to grow wild roses cuttings

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vicarious1, May 18, 2012.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello. I have a WILDE ROSE BUSH like +-4m tall entwined in a Pine tree
    makes gorgeous deep purple roses but had to cut ONE runner as it was hanging in the way and the needles are vicious. I cut the many shoots
    How do you think I re grow these shoots I put them in water meanwhile.
    Many Thanks

Attached Files:

2. barbgup

barbgup Member

Your rose cuttings are contaiminated (very difficult to root): 1. the best way to do cutting is snip at the joint with your fingers and pull a twig off containing two to three leaves and don't use scissors; 2. dip it in #3 hermone and insert it in prepared moist rooting medium. 3. spray with mist to keep the leaves from drying. If the cutting lose turgor pressure or droop, bacteria has entered from the wound - games over.
    For beginers, if you can root one cutting out of ten, you are very lucky.

3. vicarious1

Thanks so much this will be a fun challenge.V.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like Rosa rugosa, which is native to eastern Asia.

5. bunni

bunni Member

Vicarious: any luck? I've had tremendous luck growing feral rose cuttings. On my way back from work (in bby!) I pass some rose bushes that are growing on the side of the road. I've taken cuttings and planted them in my garden, and they've almost all grown - something like an 80% success rate. However, I've having a much harder time with more domesticated roses. I cut them, dip them in rooting powder. For the first three weeks or so, they seem to be doing well - grow leaves etc. Then, after about three weeks they die. Anybody have any idea how to fix this?
    I'd appreciate any advice!

6. vicarious1

Yes the wild roses worked well grow fast tall but no flowers first year and must say its such a pain to trim with the millions of needles need hug leather gloves to be able to hold a stem. Normal roses have given up them am not buying any new ones. I have one hybrid pink rose that grows straight up over 9 -10 feet tall and give me a few blooms..
    But I am NOT buying any from shops..after having lost all in the 1st years in YVR..15 bushes!
    I don't know what area you are we are near Brentwood mall if you'd like to meet
    I have wild dark pruple very tall and healthy and new soft pink ones but no yet much blooms. If you want to get together we could arrange and share knowledge ..Bye4now

7. bunni

bunni Member

I've not had much of a problem with roses I've bought - I've planted them & they've grown. I haven't tried to take cuttings of those. The cuttings of the feral roses do bloom - I had one bloom within a month or so of sticking it in the ground. They're not fast growing. The 3-yr-old one is only about 20 cm tall. I was thinking of getting an 'old' rose, we'll have to see if local nurseries have one.

8. vicarious1

My wild roses cutting planted last year are now about 2m tall and I am battling to have them grow into the bush I want them to mix with ...