Hedges: ceder hedge

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by catlab, May 8, 2012.

1. catlab

catlab Member

I need information regarding a 30 foot ceder hedge that separates my newly purchased private property and an apartment building. I would like to have the hedge "trimmed" to promote new growth in the middle of the trees as they are showing signs of thinning. Also, they are so tall that they block the sun from my back yard by late morning. I will have to get the apartment owners permission to trimm them so I want as much information about the process in order to persuade them. Questions: How much can they be trimmed without hurting the trees? (six feet from the top would still provide plenty of privacy on both properties). Are there any other factors I am not considering? I live on the New York/ Canadien border.
    Thank you.
    Cathy

2. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

Hello,

Regarding your Cedar hedge.... Cedars can't be trimmed to encourage new growth off the trunk.
    When trimming a Cedar you should never cut back into brown wood as it can't regenerate from the wounding and the smooth 3rd years growth would not let adventitious buds through if there were any.

As for topping you can but you will hurt the tree, its best to consider that the tree is genetically inclined to reach a determined height and it will do what ever it takes to reach that goal. If you remove 6 ft from a 30 ft tree it will most likely send up 3-5 new leaders(tops) growing 2 ft a season and you will be back trimming next year.
    Its best to determine a maintenance schedule with you neighbour as you may end up flipping the bill annually. If you do come to an agreement you may want to remove 10' and have hire an Arborist once a year to trim it back ( But after June ! the birds nest in hedges and conifers during the spring and raise there young into mid-summer, shearing in spring disturbs nesting cycles)
    Another thing to consider would be an estimate from an ISA Certified Arborist as there could be a chance the trees could already be sick and your money spent would be a waste and you could end up liable as without proof the tree was already sick and it does die the finger could get pointed at you and the bill for replacement.

Also a thinning leggy cedar hedge may just need a good cleaning and a light trim, if you stick you head in the hedge you should be able to tell how clean it is. If there is lots of dead needles hanging from the branches it may just need some better air circulation and cleaning out the hedges would do just that.

1 last thing, bark mulch with help retain moisture and promote a healthy Soil Food Web for your Conifers.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>If there is lots of dead needles<

Not that it makes much difference to the general situation and procedures discussed but conifers asked about will of course be arborvitaes or perhaps junipers and not Cedrus.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree with Ron, they'll likely be arborvitaes, not cedars. Can you add some photos? That would help identify them.

5. catlab

catlab Member

Thank you. Here is a photo of the hedge about which I inquired. In the front of the hedge is a five ft chain link fence (perhaps the height of hedge is 20 ft, not 30).

Arborvitaes or perhaps junipers and not Cedrus?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
  6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, arborvitae, not cedars. They look nice and healthy to me, but as mentioned, heavy trimming (any cutting inside the outer 'shell' of green foliage) would ruin them.

Pic of cedar foliage and cone below for comparison.

Attached Files: