Pruning Katsura

Discussion in 'Maples' started by niroha, May 2, 2012.

1. niroha

niroha Member

I have had this Katsura JM for two years now and this JM needs some help in the pruning dept. It is top heavy and leans way over especially when it rains. My thoughts would be to take the top off to the branches on next level down to encourage side growth, and maybe trim off some of the excess smaller side branches down further. Thoughts?

What time of year would it be best to accomplish this?

Attached Files:

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I would just Stake it. Those leaves are its food supply, and in a year or two it will not be so leggy. Take advantage of what the plant already has.

3. Thumblessprimate

Thumblessprimate Member

I have a Japanese maple that droops a lot after rain or from my water sprinklers. I like how my tree grows a little slanted instead of perfectly upright and straight. Looks more natural and interesting that way.

If you need it for clearance of a path, then stake it just enough to keep it from growing into a pathway in the future.

4. niroha

niroha Member

Thanks guys. I actually plan on giving this particular young tree to a friend of mine who can give it more space than me (long story, happy ending). I'll pass on your notes so they can enjoy it.

How long do you think it'll take for it to be less leggy and fill out more? Is there anything that can be done, besides patience, to encourage that?