Acer palmatum 'Amber Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, May 10, 2005.

1. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

Little Pink Dot 2.jpg

Otome Z.jpg easier2do@gmail.com < that's my email, these is my pictures>I will get the name of the second tree very soon and post it.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. richardbeasley@comcast.net

OK second shot at this, the tree is labeled Otome zakura however it did not fit the books descriptions. If we can figure out what this cultivar is we can move it to the maple photo section. Again I am not happy with either picture, the color is too washed or contrast is too high. It would take me about a half or more to get the right colors and all the stuff. I could use software to do but they is cheating for sure. The pink tree picture was right on, for my monitor anyway.

Attached Files:

3. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

RB, thanks for trying but I'm having trouble really seeing the trees. But from what I can see I like the one with the new pink growth. It's fun how it creates a rainbow appearance. As far as helping to ID, I'm very much a novice compared to most everyone on the site. But thank you very much for posting.

4. richardbeasley@comcast.net

It all good thanks

5. winterhaven

For those of you considering a similar pairing, Peaches and Cream and Amber Ghost just didn't work for me. They became too similar from across the yard. And rather than looking like a nice contrast my AG just look jaundiced. So I moved the AG to a different location where it looks happier anyway and I'm thinking about what to put in the spot next to Peaches. I'm leaning towards Olsen's Frosted Strawberry (which I've never seen in person) or a Purple Ghost.

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My two cents' worth is that either Olsen's Frosted Strawberry or Purple Ghost would work very nicely and would contrast well with your Amber Ghost. However, if the location is a shaded area, I think Olsen's FS works better with shade. My experience is that Purple Ghost in relative shade never really achieves the brilliant color for which it is famous, and it doesn't hold dramatic color very long while Olsen's tends to hold its color for a considerable time, even in shade. Let us hear what you decide.

7. winterhaven

Thanks for the heads up. With that in mind I'm really leaning toward an Olsen's FS. But finding one could be tricky.

I'm on a waiting list for Taylor, since that needs shade maybe it would work in that spot. Hmm.

I'll definitely share when I get something in that spot. But I'll probably post in the Peaches and Cream thread or the thread for whichever cultivar I get.

8. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I really enjoy the color of 'Amber Ghost'.

Attached Files:

9. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

WOW Charlie - What a specimen. Sam

10. amazingmaples

Sam

you can laugh at this, a couple years back I bought an Amber Ghost which was labeled as "the largest ever sold" then the next year they had the "largest in the world" Amber Ghost which is the tree in the photos. It was also the tree used in the Seattle Times article. Last year they only had a 10 tall Amber Ghost which is also in my yard, I do like the tree, its color is one of the most vivid.

11. amazingmaples

Here is my middle size Amber Ghost. This is one of the few trees planted in the ground. It has been in the ground since I bought it a few years back.

Attached Files:

12. amazingmaples

Most all my Amber Ghost looked terrible this year. I lost a lot of the tops out of my trees and many of the leaves never grew to full size. Even with a bad year, I still found some of the prettiest early fall colors

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      253.6 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      116.9 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      92.3 KB
      Views:
  13. Neko

Neko Member

I'd really like to add an 'Amber Ghost' to my collection.

Anyone know a good source in Vancouver/lower mainland ? I seem to find the best variety at Gardenworks (Lougheed), but can't recall if I've seen one there.

Thanks.

14. winterhaven

Spring 2012

Attached Files:

15. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Really nice photos that capture the subtleties of this cultivar. Thanks for posting.

16. winterhaven

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear you liked them.

Edit: the morning light hit the leaves just right and I couldn't resist snapping and adding a few more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  17. Maple_Lady

My Amber Ghost, planted this winter in new garden area.

18. amazingmaples

Still my favorite tree for color. Sept 2012

Attached Files:

• 091.jpg
      091.jpg
      File size:
      559.1 KB
      Views:
  19. Maple_Lady

AmazingMaples - do you still have large containers with Amber Ghost? The spring color of your Amber Ghost maple is fantastic. I do not get that solid pink/red color. Mine is more variegated with green leaves underneath.

20. amazingmaples

Sam, that Amber ghost is still with me, it is planted in my parents garden. It is full sun so it has a nice pink color during the summer. It does not have much green color to the tree.

21. Maple_Lady

Charlie,

That is why it is so fantastic. All of my Amber Ghosts and I mean all are variegated green to pink to amber. You are lucky to have that one - it is special. Sam

22. amazingmaples

i have owned it for a few years, it is the largest Amber Ghost talon has sold. I thought about digging it up and putting it in my inventory for sale. I am looking at rearranging parts of my garden this winter. There are some trees which need to be relocated and it is one which is filled its space with no place to grow.

23. Maple_Lady

Charlie - I miss our phone conversations so you know my number and I always at home taking care of my 3K JMs in pots. I just repotted one gallons to two and three gallon size. My last acquisition from Talon was 700 babies [liners in 4" pots] which are potted into one gallon containers and tucked safely away waiting for winter.

We plan to go to Hawaii [spelled Kawaii by accident, but caught myself] at the end of October and then when I get home I transfer all of the pots which are outside going dormant and dropping leaves into the unheated greenhouses for a safe winter and a head start on spring - 2015. Wow, just typing that year is weird. Take care and bye for now. Call me. . . . . .

24. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

My Amber Ghost I received from Sam (Maple Lady) today. She has very nice trees!

Attached Files:

25. jfuller

jfuller New Member

I hesitated to upload photos of my amber ghost this year because it's pretty sun-scorched, but figure it's worth noting its coloration this year as it will likely be different next year. I say that because I bought it only a couple weeks ago (end of August) from a nursery where it spent the summer in full sun, but now it is in a location where it only gets about 3-4 hours of sun a day. We have a north-west facing patio and I now have two JMs (this and a peaches & cream) along with a few other part-shade friendly plants!

Attached Files: