Identification: Aroid ID Please

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Pitter, May 5, 2012.

1. Pitter

Pitter Active Member 10 Years

Here is a plant I found in my gardens on a property in Colombia. I suspect it was planted as I've never seen it in the surrounding woods. Can any one tell me what it is?

Attached Files:

2. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

most likely an Arum species.

3. SMadsen

SMadsen Member

Both spathe and spadix and flower arrangement as a whole, as well as the variegated leaves with what seems to be cuneate bases, remind me of Dieffenbachia.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Could be, but I've never once come across a Dieffenbachia with the compound leaf structure shown in the second photo, nor have I ever seen one that exposes its spadix fully in that manner, with the spathe reflexed - the shown inflorescence structure is much more common with Caladiums. I've also never seen a Dieff bloom with only two leaves on it (and I see Dieffenbachia of various species in the wild all the time).

I'm with Susan - it's one of the tuberous, seasonally dormant aroids. Or, conversely, a new species. I'll ask some of the folks at the IAS about it.

5. Pitter

I meant to include in the original post that the plant is only 45 to 50 cm tall though I didn't measure it with ruler. The stalk with leaves has now fallen (or been knocked) over.

6. zdufran

zdufran Member

This is a most interesting plant, Ritter. You said this is on your property, correct? If so, are you able to take some more photos of the plant? Does it have a thick supportive stem like many Dendrobiums? Does it have an underground tuber? Can you take a detailed photo of the leaves? It does appear they are compound, but maybe we are just seeing multiple leaves close to one another.

7. Pitter

Ok I will take some more photos. The plant was knocked ove rprobobly by an opossum so is not in the best of shape but I'll see what I can get.

8. zdufran

zdufran Member

Peter Boyce thinks this could be a Xanthosoma from section Acontias.

9. Pitter

Here are some more photos of the plant. I don't know if they will help. I hope so.

Attached Files:

10. zdufran

zdufran Member

These are helpful, Pitter. It shows the leaf structure better, as well as to confirm the growth habit.

Is there just the one plant? Are there any offsets? It would be interesting to get one of these plants to someone who could give a definite identification.

11. Pitter

Yes unfortunately there's only one plant.

12. zdufran

zdufran Member

David Scherberich believes he has identified this plant. Here is what he has to say:

"This is Xanthosoma flavomaculatum Engl., a tuberous aroid. It is known from a few departements in Colombia (Tolima, Cauca,...). It belongs to subgenus Acontias and is related to the very common Xanthosoma helleborifolium (Jacq.) Schott."

I could not find any pictures of this plant online, other than herbarium specimens.

13. Pitter

Wonderfull! Thank you for the identification. As Mr. Scherberich says it is known from a few departments in Colombia does that mean it's endemic?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012