In The Garden: Rare rhodo

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by joZ, May 6, 2012.

1. joZ

joZ Active Member

Hi all...
    I saw a Master Gardener today and they suggested I post a pic of the (supposed) rare rhodo. Someone suggested it might be a sinogrande rhodo.

I would like to know what its name is, and whether or not the "sprouts" will be blooming leaves or flowers?

Also, is there a special fertiilzer we could give it right now so it does bloom? Rather than just grown monstrous leaves?

Also, we are not sure what is eating the leaves, but something thinks it is very tasty.

It is planted in a North Van garden but was originally provided to us via a garden on Vancouver Island. We do not know it's name. It is about 5 years old but its growth rather was definitely stunted by mis-treatment during the first few years. We didn't know where to plant it and have moved it numerous times. It is now happy in between a Kalmia and other rhodos on a north-west facing side of our property. It has grown much bigger in the past year. Its leaves are enormous.

This is the first time it has looked like this, partially because we recently transplanted it. It has never blooomed and we are wondering if it will this year.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    joZ

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not that one, much more on the order of Rhododendron calophytum. But is it even known to be a species, and not a hybrid? You aren't going to get any bloom this year, very likely not for some years. Seedlings of large-growing rhododendrons may take 10-20 years to bloom.

3. joZ

joZ Active Member

Hi Ron B:
    Thanks for responding Ron B.
    I realized afterwards that in 2007 I posted a picture of this rhodo.
    It was much smaller.
    I am soooooo disappointed to hear that it won't be blooming for years.
    I hope I am around to see it.
    Thanks for your input.

joZ

4. woates

woates Active Member

5. joZ

joZ Active Member

Yo Woates:
    Thanks so much.... I am going to get those pesky weevils... thanks for the info...
    For now I just have to get out my rocking chair and wait another 20 years for the rhodo to bloom.
    joZ

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, I recognized the plant. But think positive: maybe it will bloom in 10 years (or less) instead of at the high end of the range I gave.