Spring pictures!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by rufretic, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Skippy

Skippy Member

Springing here at last...

Attached Files:

2. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Lookin real good!

3. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I have some more to add.

Gwens Rose delight finally proving it is what it was tagged as. I'm glad I took the chance, it's starting to look pretty cool.

Attached Files:

4. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Orangeola, my newest addition. Nothing too special yet but I was happy to find a dissectum that is a little different.

Attached Files:

5. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Esk Sunset, my biggest eye catcher right now. You were right emery, the varigation is starting to show now. I can't wait to see what it looks like in a couple more weeks.

Attached Files:

6. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Autumn moon, my favorite for now. I can't believe how much color it has right now.

Attached Files:

7. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Spring at last.

Picture 1 from left to right: Katsura, Kasagiyama, Beni kawa, Pixie, Ueno yatsubusa, (A green tree whose name I have forgotten), Peaches and Cream

Picture 2 from left to right: Orange Dream, Fireglow, Sangu kaku, Purple Ghost, Tsuma gaki, Uki gumo, Brandt's Dwarf, Aureum (palmatum).

Attached Files:

8. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Nice lineups Winterhaven!

9. winterhaven

Thank you! I'm really happy with them.

Here are some other Spring shots. The third picture shows one of the same beds as above but from a different direction.

Picture 1 (L to R): Purple Ghost, Harvest Orange, and Peaches and Cream

Picture 2: (L to R): Purple Ghost, Tsuma gaki

Picture 3 (L to R): Uki gumo, Brandt's Dwarf, Aureum (palmatum), Geisha Gone Wild, Aureum (shirasawanum)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  10. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Wow you have some really nice areas! That's a nice size Aureum full moon. Do you know about how old it is? I plan to get one but I'm thinking I'd be best saving up and getting a larger one because I'd like it to look more like a tree than a bush in the next ten years. Most of them I see on here are pretty small and it sounds like they are slow growers. Your's is a great size in my opinion but I'm sure it would cost me to try to buy one at that size.

Ukigumo is also a slow grower right? Yours looks great! I just got one but it was only a 2 gallon so I'm just hoping it might look like yours in my lifetime lol. How old is that one and how much sun does yours get? It looks like it's showing a nice amount of white compared to others. Does it keep that color all summer?

Sorry for all the questions, you just have a lot of trees I'm interested in and I have a lot to learn :-)

11. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Geesh! Winterhaven,that's quite an arboretum you're getting now(he says going green in the face)It amazed me that despite the lovely big JMs you have,they are dwarved by that big white monster of a tree in post #32...I literally couldn't fit that trunk in my garden lol.
    One thing continues to puzzle me though.Many people here(and you may be one)seem to have summers hitting the 90s for several days/weeks,something I've only witnessed here a handful of days in my life.Yet you seem to be able to grow some cultivars in more sun than myself.I know larger trees are more resilient but,for example your AS Aureum...looks to me that it's getting more sun than I would dare give mine.Whilst mine's not as majestic as yours,it does have a bit of age to it.My geography isn't brilliant but I wonder if infact you and others here live more North than myself(SE England)and therefore the sun is less intense(although I've never considered England as having intense sun ha)Perhaps JMs can handle ambient temps ok up to a point,but it's the intensity of the sun that does the damage?...just a thought :)

12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looking out from the window I thought this was a nice spring picture. A bit washed out as it came from my phone and I didn't try and fix the colors.

Left to right in foreground are A. x conspicuum 'Silver Vein', A. sieboldianum, AP 'Sango kaku', A. campestre 'Carnival', A. capillipes (unknown cultivar). Other maples in the photo are A. davidii (dark leaved selection) , A. pseudosieboldianum, A. opalus (behind the beech tree).

For a bonus, here's a picture of some of the "Aceretum". The overall effect is better in person, thankfully! :)

Attached Files:

13. winterhaven

TY. I'm not sure how old it is, but it must be fairly old. S Aureum is temperamental so it was unusual to find one this size. I got mine from Charlie at Amazing Maples (http://amazingmaples.com). I bet he could tell you how old it is.

TY. Again, no idea how old, I just know it must be old and Charlie could tell you more. This is the second growing season I have had mine. Last year, I had it temporarily placed (in its pot) where I could easily water it. That location got direct afternoon sun and the poor thing fried like you would not believe (I wrote about that at http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=293519&highlight=ukigumo#post293519). But, other than a few spots of reversion, the leaves I have seen have been almost entirely white since I have had it. And I watched this tree sporadically at Charlie's for three years before I took it home and again never saw it not be mostly white. There is an interesting discussion about the coloration issue at: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=62082&highlight=floating+cloud.

TY. That's a Western Red Cedar that is planted way too close to the house for comfort. But the girth is remarkable. That is one of three trees that I find continually astounding. The other is a Coastal Redwood that is ginormous. The third is a JM that I posted about at http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=51852&highlight=venerable.

First, you are absolutely right about latitude changing sun intensity. Plants that I could grow when I lived more southernly I cannot grow at all. And I know I've read posts from people in southern climes keeping their JM's alive with shade cloth despite high temperatures. Second, I rarely get days that are in the 90's, and more than one in a row maybe once a summer and then usually only maybe three days. This is because I am located waterfront and that creates a microclimate that stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter (relative to nearby locations, I do still get snow). It also means my maples leaf out much later than, for example, those at Charlie's, who is located a few hours away. Third, the picture is taken in the morning (I've always been told morning sun is more gentle than afternoon) and the tree doesn't get more than a few hours. Fourth, as I mentioned at http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=293519&highlight=ukigumo#post293519, Charlie could keep the same Ukigumo tree in more sun that I could. My working hypothesis is that my air has more salt content and that was enough to magnify the rays enough that it made the difference between tolerable and non-tolerable light.

That is going to be a lovely oasis when they get big. You have a great variety. What's the one on the far right in the second photo?

14. Houzi

Ah Winterhaven,you've got lovely grounds in a wonderful setting,I would happily see out my days there if I were in your shoes :)
    I forgot about micro-climates,they could explain some of the differences.Thinking about it,my worst enemy is rebounding winds from every direction......oh....and are you sure the house wasn't planted too close to the tree? Lol....and Emery,as a 'townie' I can definately say that is a lovely spring picture :)

15. winterhaven

TY. Hubby and I often comment on how fortunate we feel to live here. And we hope for this to be our home for at least a few decades.

Wind... yes, it will chew up a tree.

House vs. tree plant... yes, the house was planted too close to the tree. :) That tree actually has numerous co-dominant trunks from about nine feet off the ground. That's why it is wired in the crown.

16. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@Winterhaven, Thanks. The tree on the far right is an unknown A. capillipes cultivar, I believe it is most likely 'Golden Increase.' It comes out very light yellow against red bud scales, really very pretty. Over the season the leaf turns a light green that is not unattractive but nothing to the spring. Unfortunately it burns very easily, and is poorly placed given what it turned out to be; but since it is now growing very enthusiastically I don't want to move it. In the corner of the house, a very shady spot, there's a Cornus contraversa 'Candlelight' that's quickly grown to over 3 m, that is practically the same color (and burns even much more easily).

@Houzi, after all that rain we got (about 170 mm after months of dry) the grass is going bonkers. If you could see that amount I've got to mow, you'd appreciate being a townie! :)

17. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Houzi,

Where I live we can have litterally months of 90+ degree temps and stifling humidity. As long as the maples get some afternoon shade and we don't have prolonged hot, dry winds, the maples love it. Its like a natural greenhouse. I have a few JMs that have already put on 2.5 ft. of growth this year. And its only May!

18. Houzi

Well they can definately handle ambient temps then.Perhaps it is mainly the wind.I guess I should be thankful as I'm sure I couldn't handle your heat as well as the maples ha.
    I don't usually see growth like that here in a whole year,however after continuous rain like Emery recently the in-ground maples have thrived.Infact the Bloodgoods have grown like vines putting out long slender growths twisting around eachother in all sorts of directions....god knows how they'll end up when they harden off.

19. Kanuni

Kanuni Active Member

Great photos! I have posted some of mine in this thread: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=71511 They might not look as fantastic as many of the ones in this thread and they might look boring to some here because my collection is rather limited, but for me they are awesome. I am definitely planning to increase my collection though.

20. Houzi

Your trees are looking mighty fine Kanuni,all the hard work paid off :)

Tsukushigata

Attached Files:

21. Squeezied

Squeezied Active Member

Hey guys, here's my sango kaku with some companion plants (and the neighbourhood cat)! Enjoy! :)

Attached Files:

22. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

23. Houzi

Colourful stuff Sasquatch,I particularly like the sharps pygmy,have you opened it out since last showing it?

24. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

25. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

I have really enjoyed this thread. I thought I'd share a few of mine. These are established ones that I inherited. I have no idea what cultivars they are.

Cousin Itt is about 4' tall:

IMG_1397 - 2012-04-23 at 19-20-54.jpg

This one (about 20') has the leaf shown:

IMG_1407 - 2012-04-23 at 19-26-37.jpg

IMG_1411 - 2012-04-23 at 19-27-44.jpg

And this one (about 15') has the leaf shown:

IMG_1412 - 2012-04-23 at 19-28-10.jpg

IMG_1413 - 2012-04-23 at 19-28-50.jpg