moving clematis

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bumblebee, Mar 25, 2012.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

I have two clematis I need to move, One is Niobe and the other is Guernsey Cream. They are both pruning group '2'. I thought I would wait until they had flowered and then cut them back and move them, say early Fall. Is this the right strategy or should I move them this Spring as soon as the frost date is past? If I move them in Spring, I know I will lose flowering this year which I would like to avoid. I am in Southern Ontario.

2. lisali

lisali Member

I am not sure it's late. I have some clematis in the containers, and I changed some big and deep pots to them last spring, it seemed they are heath, I feel clematis is easy to move, you don't need to wait until summer or fall.I am in Vancouver

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

If you want to move them do it without delay. Try to do as little damage to the roots as possible. Prune the top in proportion to the root loss. If you do everything right I don't see any reason for loss of flowering.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

Thank you all for your advice. I have now moved them and both seem to be doing fine. I have moved a number of clematis in the past with no problem but I was concerned about these two as, due to a very mild winter here in Southern Ontario, they were already in bud and I didn't want to lose the flowers. I have been growing Clematis for many years - I presently have 26 - and despite, initially, not knowing much about them and moving some of them, pruning some of them at the wrong time, having some in poor soil, in too much shade or too much sun, etc. etc., I have never lost a single one. Clematis are hard to kill.

5. lisali

lisali Member

Clematis is my favorite vine plant, and I have 5 different types. Ilive in a town-home and have to plant them in the pots. An expert gave me one advice. Clematis like sun but need to cover their root from sun, so I leave some wood chips on the top of soil. hope this tip is useful for potting clematis.