Acer palmatum 'Olsen's Frosted Strawberry'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, May 10, 2006.

1. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

photo taken at Greer Gardens March 2010

Attached Files:

2. plantoid

plantoid Active Member

California, USA, near Oakland / San Francisco
    Re: Acer palmatum Olsens Frosted Strawberry

If that's the case, the same virus would spread to other maples by the use of cutting tools? I am somewhat doubtful of this theory. It's more likely that the reticulation was caused by a one-time change to the genes of a parent plant and those genes and traits that manifest in reticulation get passed on from the parent plant to the offsprings regardless whether the live virus is still present.

Steve

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer palmatum 'Olsen's Frosted Strawberry': Here is the frosting

OK, with maples (as with other plants and many human beings) one needs to be patient. After 4 years I have finally seen the why for the name. The 'frosting' appears clearly as random red blotches on leaves that were already formed without them (no, I did not cut my finger while pruning the tree ;-)). These pictures were taken today and the plant is in the ground, dappled shade.

Gomero

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Hi Gomero -- Yes, it does appear to me that you had an accident while pruning. Just for contrast, here is my 'Olsen's Frosted Strawberry' -- photos taken 5/23/10 and 5/9/10.

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  5. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I get those deep rose splotches around areas that have been burned with water droplets and sun or in areas that get a little anthracnose (sp?). I also get random sections of leaves that have a similar deep rose burgundy as if it is a variegation of sort. Oh heck here is a pic of that variegation that makes it easier to see what I'm seeing.

It took a couple of years for mine to become heavily "frosted". It is now my favorite of the darker pink based reticulates because it keeps a good strong reticulation (unlike purple ghost) and has a bit richer pink color than kasagiyama. Mine has been a bit slower growing though.

Attached Files:

6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I am discovering this very recent cultivar like most other people who are also growing it. In the pics I posted in 2008 this frosting was already noticeable albeit not so strong as this year. It may be a virus infecting just my cultivar, who knows. It is not burning since the plnat is in dappled shade.
    Anthracnose?, affecting only one maple out of hundreds, year after year?. This brings to mind the discussion in the 'Akane' thread, but here the 'defect' is quite pretty. I have a second, younger, plant from a different supplier which I will be monitoring carefully.

Gomero

7. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Slow growing seems to be an understatement for mine. I have own mine for 4 years and it is still a little twig. I am hoping my heros in Oregon can find a way to speed up the growing process so I can see one of size.. I will post photo of my twig,

8. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

here are a few pics of my olsen's. I haven't seen the 'strawberry effect' yet but it sure is a beautiful little tree.

Attached Files:

9. Orchidity

Orchidity Member

Henry and Francie of japanesemaples.com are longtime friends of mine. In 2005 I got three plants from them in celebration of purchasing my home, one of which was an Olsen's Frosted Strawberry. I had it in a pot for several years, transferring it into the ground last autumn. It's made quite a difference - the tree is growing out much fuller and more colorful. I've lost count, I believe I have 22 different palmatum and japonicum, and this one is quickly becoming one of my favorites (another gifted from them at the same time is Mikawa Yatsubusa, this is still #1).

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  10. Orchidity

Orchidity Member

Another photo from earlier this spring. Note the beautiful shade of red on its first growth!

This tree's changes are all beautiful, all welcome.

Attached Files:

PNWmaplemaker87 likes this.
  11. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, this is one of my favorite reticulates! This is a plant that is perfectly named, in my opinion.

12. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

What do we know think re its likely mature height and width? Given the very snail like growth reports I see in this thread can we consider it a true dwarf?

13. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I think you may be onto something. It may very well be a dwarf. I happened to purchase 2 of the really early Olsen's Frosted Strawberries in 2004 and while each plant has done wonderfully well in my garden, I think it would be generous to say they've grown 20% over that period of time. I knew the plant was both wonderful and rare, so I did allow trusted nurserymen to take scion wood from my two trees just to ensure that it would survive in the marketplace. Mine have tended to become denser over time, but they don't grow much from year to year. I have no idea what the "mature" height and width might be for this cultivar. My two trees are probably 10 years old now, and one measures 3' X 2' high, while the other is about 2' X 18" high. The growth is very slow, but I have not forced growth upon them. Perhaps some of the nurseries will do that. I only give them the normal spring fertilizer that I give all my other JMs. Mine seem to do best in filtered light, and they are a highlight in my garden.

14. copperbeech

That is snail like!

Any chance you have a picture or two from this past summer? I would love to see your "highlights".

15. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

What does this tree look like in the summer and fall? Does anyone have pictures other than spring? Thanks!

16. copperbeech

And I am curious as to the largest OFS specimen any of us has ever seen.

17. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

My Olsen's courtesy of Lucile at Whitman Farms; very impressive size, considering what I have read about it being such a slow grower. It's about 2, maybe 2.5, feet tall from the soil line, and about as big around. It's her 2g size, and when I asked, she indicated it was about 4-5 years old...

I know it will need at least some sun to keep the color as long as possible, but how much heat and sun can it safely take? Feedback from those in hotter, more southern climates where the sun is more intense would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

18. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

That's a nice sized tree there.

I find that most reticulates (Olsen's being no exception) hold up fairly well in heat and sun. I like to sight them in locations similar to that of my red dissectums (morning sun and afternoon shade) when possible. They are not as temperamental as you would think considering their delicate appearance. Variegates like Orido nishiki, yellows like Orange dream, and even coral barks give me the most true sun burn.

19. Blinky1

Blinky1 New Member

Just want to share a photo of my Olsen's Frosted Strawberry, which seems to tolerate the heat much better then I thought.

Attached Files:

20. maplesandpaws

Mine does well here in Kansas, and can handle sun all morning and into mid-afternoon - and that's in 90-105F temps with very intense sun. But it seems that the spider mites like it, I've had to treat it every summer at least once. One of my favorites, just wish it grew faster. :)

21. Blinky1

Blinky1 New Member

Hi maplesabdpaws, OFS has become one of my favorites. I especially like the reticulate maples. I now have two in my collection, the other being Amagi Shigure. I hope to be able to add a Aka Shigitatsu sawa and Peaches and Cream.

22. Blinky1

Blinky1 New Member

Like to share another photo of my Olsen's Frosted Strawberry because I noticed one of the leaves has an unusual two-tone colour, which I find very interesting.

Attached Files:

23. maplesandpaws

Love the vibrant spring color on this one :)

Attached Files:

24. copperbeech

Mine is very small but gorgeous spring color:

P1040304_zpsznddjjrh.jpg

25. copperbeech

Just over a year later:

Attached Files: