Cherry Tree Root Cutting Propogation Success!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Steve Wieden, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Steve Wieden

Steve Wieden Member

Hello,
    About a month or two ago I cut a piece of a root off of my Black Tartarian Semi-Dwarf cherry tree which we bought from Lowes last spring. I tried to find out what rootstock it was and if it was patented, but found nothing. I got the idea from The Grafter's Handbook which talked about propagating rootstock through root cuttings. I wanted to cultivate more cherry trees for our yard and friends. Online I found no first hand experience of people doing this with trees or even mention of it, only raspberries and other perennials.

Taking the root and cutting it into three pieces about 5-6in. long I planted it into a cup of moist soil and put it in my mini greenhouse. The cuttings were a bit wider than the width of a toothpick. As pictured it appears that one of the roots has sprouted! I have gently pushed the protruding stem back and forth and the sprout moves with it.

My question is, is this rootstock patented? What species do you think it is?

Thank You,
    Stephen

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Trees that sucker are usually good candidates for root propogation. If it is a dwarf or semi dwarf cherry that suckers, it could be grafted on Gisella 5 root stock.

http://www.vanwell.net/cherry_rootstocks/index.html

Not sure what type of cherry tree that would make though...

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Rootstocks normally don't produce usable fruit; they are only good for grafting something else on top.

4. Steve Wieden

Steve Wieden Member

Ya, i did a little more research and called my local Lowes and they told me their distributor was Berry Family Nursery. That nursery also supplies some other nurseries around our town and Walmart. I am thinking then that they are patented. Thank you for your input and help.

Stephen