Growing Mountain Huckelberries

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by MThuck, Jan 16, 2012.

1. MThuck

MThuck Member

Has anybody had much luck in growing these finicky fellows?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I tried to grow one that produced really nice fruit in the wild, but it barely survived in my garden and produced no edible fruit. However, that was before I realized that a proper mulch is very important for blueberries (which is what western huckleberries are, actually). In addition to using acid soil, make sure that you apply a mulch of acidic sawdust or wood chips. I suspect that mixing some peat into the soil will also be beneficial.

3. MThuck

MThuck Member

I've ordered some "plugs" of Vaccinium membranaceum Broadleaf Huckleberry to plant in the spring from a local nursery. I've also started some from seed I obtained from a local fella. Hopefully I can get my soil to their liking to just grow let alone fruit.

4. bling

bling Member

i tried once but failed. any tricks?

5. hedpod huckleberry

hedpod huckleberry Member

Hi bling -
    I have ~12 wild huckleberries in my garden.
    They all seem to thrive growing out of old stumps, and stumps that are breaking down into forest floor soil. The strongest ones grow where they get some sunlight during the day, but are sheltered from the harshest weather/snow by forest canopy above.
    Hope this helps.

6. MThuck

MThuck Member

I've got 6 seedlings that I've gotten to grow from seed. They seem to be some of the slowest growing plants I've ever tried.

Attached Files: