Did I kill my Gladiolus ?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vicarious1, Mar 25, 2012.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hi I planted Gladiolus last year my 1st time very pretty BUT I did not know I have to take the bulbs out..So no I am wonder ...shall I try to look (will that disturb them if they are OK ) I actually would like to move them as I planted them in a straight line for photos but NOT easy to look after and had to stake each individual one.. I am in North Burnaby the location is a flower bed facing west... I planted some poppies there and to my surprise they have NOT stopped growing leaves ALL winter long even in snow and frost etc..so I thought MAYBE the Glads will have survived my uninformed forgetfulness to take them out the soil.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hey, vicarious, maybe you could try digging up one of the corms and see how it looks. If it's black and squishy, well...but if it is firm and healthy, replant it and see what develops. From what you wrote about the poppies, sounds as if conditions were not overly harsh, so glads might be OK too.
    Good Luck to you!

3. vicarious1

Hey thanks I have and have moved them they were in quite good condition. This time I planted them in a tighter circular shape facing full south. Thank you. Will upload some pics on my site in time..

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well done :) Just came back using same pass word which was a bit of a suprise! Have been off for about 2 yrs. Looking forward to a good read. Our drought has broken since last visit. Amazing tree growth and flowers I forgot I had.

Liz (Vict. Aust.)

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome back liz!!!

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Welcome back Liz and Vic!!!

Vic - I don't think they're necessarily done for. Like Togata suggests, try digging one up and see if it's smooshy - Vancouver had a fairly mild winter this year, didn't it? They might be just fine, especially if they were in a sheltered location.

7. vicarious1

Hi its nice to see some ol UBC friends are still around. Hello Liz in OZ and Lorax in Ecuador. How about your theater work in the Amazone