Clearing Trees

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by KrisB, Mar 1, 2012.

1. KrisB

KrisB Member

I'd like to clear 2-3 acres of 20-year-old deciduous trees for agriculture and I can't bear the thought of just cutting them down and burning them. They're probably not big enough for lumber, but they would surely be great for paper products. How do I go about it? What kind of company here in the Lower Mainland would take them and use them?

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Enquire at Scott's Paper in New Westminster?

3. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Look up "biochar" & make charcoal - Get a chipper & use the chips for mulch & compost - just pile them in heaps & let them rot naturally as a wildlife haven.

There's a few ideas. I have no idea if any of them are practical for you :)

4. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Firewood? Two to three acres of good alder and maple could make you a few bucks at $200+/cord. Lots of work bucking it up and splitting though...

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Don't worry about lumber. The price for Alder is OK but the rest is in the toilet. I know because I have 20 acres in DFL and have to do some thinning. I'll go for the firewood trade. Just be sure to check to see if you need any kinds of permits to sell firewood. We do on Lopez Island. barb

6. KrisB

KrisB Member

Thanks for the advice! I'm still working on all of it. I found out that Scott's paper no longer buys trees. The other options are all great, but require varrying degrees of work or financial investment. I know it's unlikely that I'll be able to avoid both, but I'm going to try. =o)

7. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Well then, just move them out of the way of whatever it is you are intending to do & let them rot naturally. This will be good for your carbon accounting, excellent for wildlife, good for the soil, good for your pocket-book & not to hard on your lower back.