Vanilla orchid cutting

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by shetur, Feb 25, 2012.

1. shetur

shetur Member

Hi,
    I have just planted my meter long vanilla cutting to root in vermicompost, coco peat and vermiculite mix.
    the next day in the evening I enthusiastically misted it as I do to my other orchids.
    And in the morning few of leaves have this terrible looking mussy looking spot/blotch.
    What is this?
    Some kind of infection? Or bruises happened during transit and my misting the plant resulted in these spots?

Please help, I don't want to loose this cutting.
    Should I cut those 4-5 leaves or shouldn't worry?

2. shetur

shetur Member

oops forgot to add the photo
    Please see here. Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. Furballs

Furballs Active Member

First time I've ever seen even part of a vanilla orchid. For what it's worth, to me, it looks more like the leaf has physical damage, so it might have done this anyway. It is hard to imagine just misting would do anything like this to any plant. You may get some good advice on a orchid only forum, there are some good ones. I looked one up and it said that when you plant a cutting, the bottom few leaves should be removed, but to leave at least two nodes above the planting media, and to support the plant well, as once it grows it will become very large and heavy. Depending on how many leaves you've got that are still in good shape, I'd think you could take off some of the damaged ones, if not all. Or just trim off the damaged part and dust the cut with something antifungal. Cinnamon powder is useful for this, or sulphur. It does like humidity, but does not like soaking wet roots. I hope that helps, but try looking up an orchid forum, they may have much more specific information.

4. shetur

shetur Member

@ Furballs, yes you are absolutely right! It is physical damage to leaf.

I had bought this from a flower show and went there yesterday again to get the seller's (happens to be an expert too) opinion and he confirmed that it is mere physical damage.
    I am very relieved.
    Thanks, you not only diagnose it correctly, came up with all the very helpful info.
    Eventually I will cut these leaves but only one by one. And will have to look up an orchid forum too.

Just for info: My vanilla cutting is a little more than a meter long. Bottom 2 leaves are cut and 3 nodes are in the medium. Rest meter long cutting is supported by a wooden poll and loosely tied at 2/3 places. There are at least 5/6 healthy leaves. And I am hoping for the best!

5. Furballs

Furballs Active Member

To be honest, when I first looked at the picture, it reminded me of very similar damage I've seen on some of my clivia leaves. I am pleased I got it right and happy to be of help. I think you'll find the orchid forums are very helpful. I have a few orchids, mainly Phals and a very few oncidiums. Two are named miniatures, one of those is delightfully fragrant when in flower. I wish I had room for some larger ones, but maybe one day. Best of luck, hope you are able to harvest some nice beans one day.

6. Banana

Banana Member

Im fortunate enough to have one of these as well! By far one of the most beautiful & exotic looking plants! Mine suffered a few larger lower leaves of damage close *it appears* to yours!
    It also was after transplanting...i trimmed them and it did fine. 4 yrs runnin ;)
    i would def say go check out some of those orchid sites!

7. shetur

shetur Member

@Furballs, clivia is a great plant! thanks and yes beans... yum... m...
    But the most exciting thing is it is already showing signs of growth, 4th node had some growth and it is now double in size!

@Banana, 4 year old vanilla vine! wow! I am sure it is gorgeous!

yes gathering as much info as I can.
    Thanks again.

8. Banana

Banana Member

Yes she's a beaut! If i ever figure out how to get pics up...ill try to get some of those :)