Identification: Please help identify my plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Flagwen, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Flagwen

Flagwen Member

I received this beautiful houseplant for my birthday and I can't find what it is anywhere. It looks like tiny yellow roses and the leaves are thick and waxy. Pictures are posted. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to loose it. I need to find out the care for it. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

It's a calandiva. (doubled Kalanchoe blossfeldiana cvv.)

3. Furballs

Furballs Active Member

Very bright light, to full sun in winters. Allow to dry between waterings, then water well. It is succulent so it can take a fair bit of dryness without much harm, though it may drop its flowers if it gets too dry for too long. Reblooming them can be a bit of a chore. I have seen some of the single flower forms bloom again in house conditions, without any special effort, but often they just grow leaves. Greenhouses grow these using timers for light and other techniques that allow them to control flowering and even height and compactness. You may find the plant growth becomes less compact with time, as the hormones used in the greenhouse wear off. To flower again, they need dark nights, for at least 10 - 12 hours, starting in fall, maybe October. If you can arrange for the darkness regularly, with some luck, you'll get new flower buds. To prolong the current flowers, pinch them off as they die, so it will keep making new buds for a longer time.