Living Hedge

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mhern, Feb 23, 2012.

1. mhern

mhern Active Member

Is there anyone out there who has experienced using Willows as living hedge? http://www.bluestem.ca/ carries them but I wonder if there's anyone here in the lower mainland who has tried doing it and how did the experience go. Any info would be much appreciated.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not very suitable - poor shape for a hedge, invasive roots, prone to disease and dieback, bare in winter.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The one you see used is Salix purpurea. Even lends itself to shearing.

4. mhern

mhern Active Member

Hi Michael - thanks. I don't really care if it's bare during winter months as we're not at the back anyway. It's more of when we're outside in the summer as our neighbors have 3 vicious dogs.

Ron B - yes those are the Salix ones.

Thanks.

5. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

In the case of vicious dogs, perhaps an Osage Orange hedge may be more appropriate. The thorns would keep them away...

6. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Barberry is thorny; so is pyracantha. They both afford winter interest.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

All willows are Salix. I wasn't talking about your link, if that was your point. What I said was the ones seen being used for this during everyday circumstances are S. purpurea. There's a sheared hedge of it at a commercial property near I-5 in Bellingham, for instance.

8. mhern

mhern Active Member

Somehow my post earlier isn't published :(

Anyway, I forgot to mention that it's quite a long yard (200 feet long) that we're trying to solve here so the cheapest and most economical solution is the number one choice :).

I might just settle with 100' of Karl Foerster and 100' of any willows (I like the Rubikins and yes, those Purpureas). I was thinking that if I have willows, then I might discover another hobby (aside from gardening) in the future, which is basketry ha-ha.

Thanks for all the input.

9. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Well, maybe over time you could add, on your side of the willows, a mixed hedge of roses and viburnums and rhodos and lilacs and oregon grapes, and... So many possibilities!