First leaves

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Feb 21, 2012.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Way too early, but adorable none the less... Wilson's Pink Dwarf started on Friday (19th), Squitty and Fjellheim on Sunday, and Manyo no sato today - with a lot of my others not far behind. This is my first spring with my maples, and I can't wait for the explosion of color. :)

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

You've got a Manyo no Sato too! Hooray! I'm excited to see photos as it matures! Mine is small, but stately, and it's also budding out currently. It also greened out last year, so I'm interested to see what yours will do.

Quite a few of mine are budding, and a few are beginning to leaf! My Chantilly Lace is by far the most progressed- I anticipate it in full leaf within 2 weeks. My Otaki and Kawaii are also pretty advanced, with Manyo no Sato, Red Pygmy, Dr. Brown, Sagara Nishiki, and the Beni Gasa not far behind!

3. maplesandpaws

My Manyo is pretty tiny still (it's the last photo), but it seemed quite nice when I got it late last summer. My Kawaii should be starting within the next week or two, depending on weather. Chantilly Lace is on my to-buy list, along with a bunch of other trees. Any chance you could post a pic of your Chantilly? I'd love to see what it looks like!

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

You guys remind me of me when I first got into maples. I had about 8 small 1-year grafts in pots. That was about 480 cultivars ago! :)

I have a Manyo no sato that's been in the ground close to 3 years now. Got it as a 1 year graft, and its now about 2.5 feet tall. I love the look of it in spring and again in fall. In the humidity here in the South it does get a little washed out by the end of summer, but most of the trees do. The heat makes a HUGE difference in the coloration of these trees - both in the intensity (less) and in the duration of the color (way less). I still love this tree, though. One of my many favorites. Its just so different from the rest.

5. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

Thanks for your input on the Manyo! Good to know about the heat. Does yours seem to enjoy sunshine, or does it prefer light shade? I moved mine twice last year to try and regain the color, but it never really came back- just stayed a strange, kind of filmy-looking green.

Maplesandpaws, I've attached some photos of my Chantilly beginning to leaf out right now, and some from last autumn when I purchased it. When I bought it, it was a lovely medium green with very pink new growth and leaf tips. After I moved it to its full-sun site, the green turned a burgundy color (but I'm not sure if that was just it's fall color)- you can see it in one of the pics. Either way, it's a beautiful little tree!

Attached Files:

6. Kaitain4

Mine gets morning sun, afternoon shade.

7. maplesandpaws

I think my husband would have seizures if I had that many, lol

Exactly the reason I got one :) Diana (Topiary Gardens) sent me mine; where'd you get yours from?

Brier, thanks for sharing the pictures!! Very beautiful.

8. Kaitain4

I got mine from EastFork.

9. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

Mine was purchased from Eastfork also, as well as my Chantilly Lace.