Pruning and soil help for Jasminum sambac 'Maid of Orleans'

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Barbara92021, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Barbara92021

Barbara92021 Active Member 10 Years

I started an ID thread in here on May 12/11 for this plant and got it named. I Google searched for info about this plant and I have been very happy with what I learned. One of the things I keep reading about is that it should be pruned. I can't decide if that means for my indoor houseplant or if pruning is only for outdoor ones.

I've included this new pic of my "Jazz". I want to know what kind of pruning should I do before I re-pot her in a proper Terracotta pot with new soil? I learned that a very good idea for soil is Schultz Cactus Soil, with small-sized aquarium gravel mixed in, a bit of perlite and a little peat moss. Does this sound good? I have each of those ingredients already.

Luckily, I have a southern window, with lots of year-long sunlight, to keep this plant happy. Needed a humidifier for our dry, dry winters here and my plants are liking that too. But I still put the trays of water/rocks under my plants, too.

Hoping that once I get some answers about the pruning and soil needs, this thread will be helpful for anyone searching about this Jasmine plant. Read that it is the easiest variety to grow. :)

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I find it helps to prune this plant hard to encourage branching and to keep it in a bush form. This also promotes flowering as blooms are produced on new wood. Much of the growth is removed and the plant will look relatively bare afterwards. I prefer to leave one, maybe two, sections of stem between branches. I have not pruned such a young plant before. You may want to let yours grow another season before pruning. This will allow it to produce a woody stem and to establish a more substantial root system.

3. Barbara92021

Junglekeeper: Thankyou for the info. I will wait til next Spring to prune it. There is a new blossom forming so I wouldn't do anything to it now anyway. It usually blooms for weeks and weeks on end. Once it stops blooming for a few days, I will transplant it into the new soil mixture I mentioned.

4. Junglekeeper

Autumn may be the best time to prune. That's the time the plant has finished flowering.

5. Barbara92021

Thanks once again, Junglekeeper.

6. Yazmitha

Yazmitha New Member

I got my first sambac in the late spring on 2012 from home depot and it was already flowering in the pot at that time......surprisingly. it flowered through the winter, and because I have never had a plant this strong in my life, I was so afraid to prune it. should I wait till fall to prune it then? I am still afraid.....please advise....

7. Junglekeeper

Don't be afraid to prune this plant. It may be difficult to get up the courage to do it the first time around but it gets much easier when you see the result.