Early buds!!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by brierphoto, Feb 10, 2012.

1. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

I have a couple maples that I have brought in and out of the garage according to weather, and now my Chantilly lace is budding already! It is moving quite rapidly, and seriously looks like it's gonna leaf out in a week or two. I'm nervous about it being so early!

Should I leave it in the garage, or keep it outside unless it drops below 30 at night?

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Maples in pots are not harmed unless temperatures drop below 15 degrees. I would let them experience the cold so that they remain dormant longer.

3. seventrees

seventrees Active Member

Winter has been somewhat mild this year in my area. My potted Yuri Hime is already past the early bud stage.

Attached Files:

4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

You're not the only one who's worried - all of mine (about 30 potted) have buds, some that look like they are about to open (I think Wilson's Pink Dwarf is furthest along). I've kept them in the garage all winter, opening the door (most days) for at least a few hours so they can get some sun, and I think this is the only reason they aren't further along than they are... My Wonderblue lilac (in the ground) has already started leafing out... Hopefully the cold snap I know we'll get yet won't be too bad.