Fungus

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Islanddweller, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Islanddweller

Islanddweller Member

Hiking near Parksville I found what I first thought was clumps of frost. It's been suggested that these are most likely some kind of fungus. I would appreciate it if someone could help me identify them.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

They look like ice extruded from a log as it was freezing. It has not been cold enough for this to happen recently in Parksville, but it would have been a short while back. When did you find this? Did you touch it? Ice would have been obvious to the touch I think.

3. Islanddweller

Islanddweller Member

I found these in Parksville just a couple of days ago. Also found the same thing in Qualicum Beach 3 days ago. I thought they were frost because when I touched one it appear to melt into a slush. The temperature was -1c when I came across them. Posted on fb and all the comments that I got were these were some type of fungus.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. Islanddweller

Islanddweller Member

My question is resolved, thank you for the post!

6. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

It seems easy enough to test ice as a possibility. Collect a sample and bring it inside.