Davidia involucrata Sonoma

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by hapylica, Feb 4, 2012.

1. hapylica

hapylica Member

Greet!
    I want to know where I can find to buy seeds by david involucrata Sonoma.
    Am understood that the tree blooms after 3-4 ani.In Romania there are not find. Please ,if anybody knows where to find them you owe!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

May not come true from seed, I believe stock sold here is clonal. I've seen the original specimen at Sonoma Horticultural Nursery, it's a little thing, nothing like the normal mature dove tree with long level branches producing a specimen 50' or more across. Presumably the early production of larger than usual bracts prevented it from achieving the typical size and shape.

I have the impression it has been there for some time but do not remember specifically it being stated that this is the case. However, even if it is actually comparatively young it still looks at though dwarfed and not able to develop a large crown.

I've noticed in the past that the nursery was calling it 'SHN' on their web site, and not 'Sonoma'.

3. hapylica

hapylica Member

I and I concur, Sonoma is a hybrid and do not think there seeds. Shame for many years I waited about to see it bloom in my garden at Amara!

4. hapylica

hapylica Member

Victory! After long searching I found involucrata Sonoma Davidic seed in Canada to Twiningvine.Dna Sandra Hoffer was very kind and unique in Romania looked for these seeds.
    I hope in 2013 to be the first novel that has Davidic Sonoma tree garden.
    The difference between the seeds is evident.

Attached Files:

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Only clones of the original tree should be called 'Sonoma', and since the originating nursery listed it at least once as 'SHN' and not 'Sonoma' it may not be correct to call even such clones 'Sonoma'.

You have yourself some dove tree seeds that may behave in the normal fashion, taking many years to bloom. Any better outcomes depend on how much, if at all the 'SHN' comes true from seed.