Identification: House plant - ivy needs ID and propagation idea

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Barbara92021, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Barbara92021

Barbara92021 Active Member 10 Years

My daughter cut these slips from a friend's huge plant. I need an ID for it and also to know if it will root like this in water.

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Not an ivy - philodendron. Not sure which one. put cuttings in water or rooting compound and soil. Either way very easy to root. barb

3. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

Not a Philodendron; pothos (Epipremnum aureum).

Roots will emerge from the points where a leaf is attached to the stem (called nodes); you should be able to see bumps at some of the nodes already. The whole cutting could be rooted in water, to give you one single very long plant, but if you want more plants more quickly, or a bushier, fuller look to the eventual plant, cut the stem into two-node sections, remove the lower of the two leaves, and stick those in water in a bright spot so the lower (leafless) node is continually submerged; roots will likely start growing before a new growing tip becomes visible. Adding a small (small!) amount of fertilizer to the water may speed the process. Be sure to dump out the water and put in fresh every so often. (Advice will vary depending on who's giving it, but you should do this at least every ten days or so, and probably more often than that.)

4. Barbara Lloyd

Thanks for the correction mrsub. I've called them philo's for so long. I'm getting to the age where I have to double check everything. Suffering from a huge case of CRS! ;))) barb

5. Barbara92021

Thankyou so much for the quick replies!!! So, another pothos!! LOL Sorry I keep saying "ivy" for these plants that I need identified! I tend to call anything with a stem and leaves and that hangs down out of a pot, an ivy! I think I will be on the right track from now on - after the last few threads I've started in here.

mrsubjunctive: Yes, I do change the water, every week to 10 days, in the vases that I have plants rooting in. I never thot to put in a drop of fertilizer tho so maybe I will get roots happening faster with that helpful hint. I also filter all water for my plants, including those I am trying to root.

Anyway, I did what you suggested, mrsubjunctive, and when I took those plants out of the water to cut them up better, I found this one all alone. Is that a root growing on this little section? Can that go into dirt now? I have no idea how long that has been like that b/c my dtr had this for at least a month before bringing it to me.

Attached Files:

6. Barbara Lloyd

Yup - root.....barb

7. Barbara92021

Barbara Lloyd: Thanks for your answer, Barb! I will plant it for a friend who wants anything I can give her from all my plants. Then when the other pieces get roots I can add them to the pot.