Tibouchina Urvilleana and the weather.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by rosa banzo, Jan 14, 2012.

1. rosa banzo

rosa banzo Member

Tibouchina Urvilleana and the weather.

We've got a Tibouchina and are facing its first winter. We live in Northern Spain (same climate as Ireland's, for instance). It is atlantic climate. I am consulting this forum because I am a bit afraid of frosts, which are not very frequent here but they happen every now and then. Our chief gardener told me to cover the Tibouchina with a plastic (which I hate). However, I've bought some plastic in case it gets really scary. BUT the reason for my writing is that some people -more than one- have told me to place a bucket with water by the plant to prevent from freezing. This is what I've done so far: I've place a couple of transparent plastic pots (so they are not very noticiable) with water. May be not very scientific but nevertheless worth trying. I'll let you know what happens!
    Excuse dull expression: I am a Spaniard!

2. johnnyjumpup

johnnyjumpup Active Member

Buenas dias, Rosa,

If your Tibouchina Urvilleana is in a pot just move it into a covered porch or room for a few days or weeks until the danger of frost is over. At least put it up against the warmth of the house wall. I can't see the pots of water really preventing frost damage though they may raise the humidity around the plant.

If it is planted in the ground, covering it with plastic is pretty good protection. You either have a few days of temporary ugly with plastic or a frost blackened plant that may die after the experience without the plastic. The flowers are beautiful, worth a few days of protection to be able to enjoy the plant for the rest of the year. I have never seen one growing in the ground. They spend the winters inside here in Canada. When do they bloom in Santander. and for how long? How big is the plant?

Let us know how it goes. I wish my Spanish was as good as your English!

3. rosa banzo

rosa banzo Member

Buenas tardes, Johnnyjumpup,

You've convinced me to cover the Tib. with a plastic. So far, in spite of some frost, it is gorgeous. Didn't seem to affect it. I thoroughly inspected it every morning when frost could be seen all over the wild part of the terrain (I don't feel very secure about this word). The plant looks really healthy! However, you are right: a few days of ugly plastic presence is nothing if it protects it. By the way, it is against the west facade of the house. It is young (has been here for some five months) and has been blooming until last month.

I am doing it right now, before it gets dark. The weather forecast says it might snow tonight.

Done! And I've meassured it: it is around 60x60 (cm.)

Your "buenos días" was almost perfect. Look at the "í" in "días". Don't remember if you can write it that way in your keyboard.

Thank you very much for your help.

4. johnnyjumpup

johnnyjumpup Active Member

Hi, Rosa,

Good to hear your Tib is doing well in spite of the frost. Worth putting the plastic on when frost threatens. I see it can grow to 10' x 10'. That must be a sight to see.

Today is Groundhog's Day in North America. If he sees his shadow (the weather is sunny) we are supposed to have only 6 more weeks of winter. This is not a reliable predictor but it gives us something to talk about in February. Very regional. In my experience, we will be lucky if it is ONLY 6 weeks more of winter. It's more likely 8 to 9 weeks more. Sigh!

My garden often comes through winter with 2 to 4 feet of snow with no problem only to be blasted by late frosts in April when it can be sunny and warm, even hot, during the day and below 0C at night. It gets the tender plants like the new shoots of roses. It has been an unusual winter in Europe with daffodils blooming in England in January and now blizzards.

I'm sorry about the Spanish. Two words and two spelling errors! I'd better do my homework.

5. rosa banzo

rosa banzo Member

¡Hola, Johnnyjumpup, buenas tardes (here, 17:50).

First of all, you don't have to be sorry about your Spanish. You made no mistakes, really; it was only you diidn't stressed the "i" in "días". You would be astonished at the few Spaniards who write properly. Most people don't care about it. A pity...

Thanks for your interest in my Tib. I followed your advise and covered it, and it looks fine. Winter isn't over yet, but I think we (Tib. and me) shall survive.

Now I am a bit concerned about my Choysia Sundance. Last Monday, after spending a few days in Sweden I was back at home and found out it's getting tobacco coloured spots. Can you think of any reason or solution?

Groundhog's Day: we know you celebrate it and translate it as "El Día de la Marmota". Now you can say something else in Spanish!

¡Hasta pronto!

6. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

My standard North American keyboard allows me to type Spanish and French letters by using "insert" and "symbols", which is laborious but possible, but only when using something like Word. I have never been able to do it when typing an e-mail. Even typing the text in Word with the proper symbols and then cutting it and pasting it into an e-mail does not work: the symbols vanish during the cutting-and-pasting process. Que lastima!

7. rosa banzo

rosa banzo Member

I do not know why I had not seen your post before.

Thank you for writing to me. However, you said nothing about "tibouchina". "She" is doing beautifully, bu the way! More than four times last year's size.