Identification: 4 Rescued plants need IDs

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Barbara92021, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Barbara92021

Barbara92021 Active Member 10 Years

I rescued these plants from a friend who was tossing them out. With good soil, a weekly watering and my TLC, they are looking healthy and much better than they were 2 months ago. Now I need their IDs so I can find out how to take good care of them. The one in the middle is 2 cuttings I took from the main plant with hope that they will root and I can start another one.

Attached Files:

2. dangermouse

dangermouse Member

I know the one in the middle's an umbrella tree, but I don't know the others.

3. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Middle is indeed Schefflera, umbrella tree (there is a smaller, shrubby species that's become popular in Florida). On the right, I think maybe wax plant, Hoya carnosa.

4. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

#1: Peperomia orba?

#2: Schefflera arboricola

#3: Nematanthus cv.? Possibly Aeschynanthus sp. or Columnea sp.?

5. Barbara92021

OOPS! Don't know why I had 4 rescued... when I only have 3 of them pictured. Anyway, thanks for the info. I had a Schefflera tree way back when I had room and I thot that's what that one is so I will have to look up ways to propagate those cuttings, if possible.

For the other two plants I will wait and see if I get any more replies. Thanks for the help but I need to be sure.

6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

I second Mrsubjunctive's suggestions. You won't go wrong caring for those
    plants based on his knowledge.

7. Barbara92021

saltcedar: Thankyou and I agree about Mrsubjunctive! I have Google searched his answers and I do believe that if this plant (Nematanthus cv.? Possibly Aeschynanthus sp. or Columnea sp.) flowers I will know for sure! I am certainly hoping that it will get flowers soon.