New here, and new plant owner...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Geneva42, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Geneva42

Geneva42 Member

Hi everyone

So... I was given 4 plants that used to be my grand mothers (who passed away a while back) because my grand father can no longer take care of them. Now... the plants all seen better days (my grand mother had one hell of a green thumb) so they are in pitiful state to say the least.

I wish to get them back on a more presentable state, but unfortunately I haven't inherited of my grandmother green thumb. The best I was able to do was keeping a bamboo alive when I worked in an office...(I said alive, it didn't grow or anything, it just existed)
    The plants are what I heard were "easy to keep" and everything, but even then, knowing me, they could easily commit mass suicide if I just look at them...

I have two spider plants (one darker than the other)
    A Pothos plant
    and one I have no idea what it is, other than I remember it having way more leaves when I last saw it...

I'll take pictures as soon as I can, but can anyone at least tell me the basic care for them? any type of soil and food I should give them?

2. Geneva42

Geneva42 Member

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The first plant looks like Dracaena marginata, Madagascar Dragon Tree.

4. Geneva42

Geneva42 Member

Yay! I finally know what it is...

now to find a way to get it back into shape. Is it some type of plant that if I cut it, roots will grow back?

I'm asking because I'm pretty sure the leaves (or whatever they are) wont grow back lower, and I'm scared since its too long (compared to the foliage) it might not be balanced enough? (I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense I'm very sleep deprived since a while (newborn baby heh)

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Dracaena marginata can be propagated with stem cuttings. You may want to search past postings on this issue. However your plant doesn't yet look out of proportion in terms of height.

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Give your spiders and dracaena ( common name dragon tree) a little sunlight, or for sunnier windows, sheer curtain filterd light. Make sure the soil, especally in the "first spider pot" is well draining and not heavy which can cause roots to suffocate and rot. Adding "Perlite" can help. Perlite can be found in any of the box stores were you buy potting soil, like Walmart, Lowes, etc. Each of your plants likes to dry out somewhat between waterings.

7. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Actually Geneva, they don't look too bad. On the spiders - take small clippers or scissors and cut off the Brown leaves at their base. They done for. Spiders like indirect light and the Drac will show more red color on the edges of it's leaves with more light.

The Drac is leggy and with more light will get bigger. No, the bare stem will not produce more leaves, but if it gets too leggy you can cut the stem about 5" from the bottom of the first leaves and it will restart. I put mine in a large plastic bag with a cup or so of moist, not wet, potting soil in the bottom. I clip the baggie to another hanging pot so the it hangs catty corner (one corner hangs lower). Dip the cut end of the Drac in rooting compound and poke it into the potting soil. I use a large baggie because I partially close the top over the whole cutting and it creates a humid, mini green house. I would also leave the stump of the mother plant in its pot and tent it loosly with another baggie, again creating another little green house. I don't water them I use a spray bottle. Don't be supprised if the mother plant sprouts new starts.

You have four of the most forgiving house plants. Don't worry, all of us that grow plants have killed our fare share. Congrats on the new sprout. Is it a blue one or a pink one? ;)) barb

8. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Barbara Lloyd has nailed it. These are easy plants to grow outdoors and dracaenas in particular are fond of light.