Blackberry cane chipping

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mlpolzin, Jan 6, 2012.

1. mlpolzin

mlpolzin Member

For invasive blackberry removal, chipping is listed as an option for the canes. Can you chip newly removed canes (green) with a 6" wood chipper or do they need to be dead and dry first? It has been noted that canes can wrap around the chipper and not get chipped. What percentage can I expect this to happen for green canes?

Any information on chipping blackberry canes like techniques that make it easier etc would be appreciated as I have not tried this method yet and would like too for a fairly large amount of removed canes.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. khall

khall Member

I find that straight branches work best in my chipper/shredder. It does not cope too well with things like brambles or ivy. There are a few issues: (1) vines do not go into the hopper easily, you have to keep pushing them in (2) they are fibrous so have a tendency to wrap around the blade and (3) they are moist so the exit chute gets plugged up. In fairness: the instruction booklet does say to only feed the machine dry material, but it does do fine on fresh branches that have a mixture of wood and green leaves.

I cleared a large patch of brambles last summer. I cut the vines into 6 inch lengths and left them on top of the soil to die. They have turned brown already and are breaking up. I put the roots and root balls into the yard trimmings bin that the city picks up. I was a little leery about putting them into my compost in case they took root there.